The Outlaw Chronicles 2044-4 Alicea Scuffling

GM: Tim Meseck

Moderator: trmmilwwi

bigmike13
Ex-GM

The Outlaw Chronicles 2044-4 Alicea Scuffling

Post by bigmike13 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 am

Alicea Scuffling

To say that San Antonio's big offseason signing has struggled to settle in would be an understatement.....a HUGE understatement. The Outlaws were forced to watch Aki Kondo and Yrrigs Carpenter cash in on the postseason run last year to lucrative contracts, leaving San Antonio in the market for starting pitching.

One of the spots was taken with internal candidate Francisco Cardona who has definitely stepped up to the challenge with a 6-0 record and a dazzling 0.92 ERA so far in 2044. The second spot was taken by SP Julio Alicea whom the Outlaws signed to a 4 year, $60 million dollar contract. Alicea was coming off a fines season in Boise, ending his 2043 with a 14-14 record and a 3.89 ERA. Th thought of having a Southpaw in the rotation also looked inviting with all of the right handers involved.

Alicea has been as close to a disaster as it gets in 2044 so far as he is sitting at the beginning of May with a 0-5 record and a (insert gag reflex sound) 7.80 ERA. It is hard to pin down where the issues are with Alicea because his delivery is clean and repeatable and he still shows life on his Fastball with no loss of velocity. He has given up a few more longballs than anticipated with 7 dingers in 30 IP's, but the .351 BABIP suggests that some of his struggles are just due to misfortune. Julio has been befuddled over his early season struggles "I am at a loss right now. I feel good on the mound and i am putting the ball where i want it, they just keep hitting the damn thing. Sitting here knowing i am letting my team and teammates down is very hard pill to swallow, but all i can do is push through and get better".

While it is still early in the season, this story is definitely something to monitor.
Mike Calvaruso
San Antonio Outlaws 2030 -
Birmingham Bandits 2006-2029

Return to “San Antonio Outlaws”