#700 for Morales as Omaha plans special announcement.(47.08)

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

#700 for Morales as Omaha plans special announcement.(47.08)

Post by niles08 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:54 am

In front of 54,532 fans as the visiting team in Yellow Springs at Utopia FieldEmilio Morales joined an elite club that to this day only 3 hitters have joined in the history of the Brewster Baseball Association.

That being Home run number 700.

Morales, who has consistently shaken off career accolades and instead pointed towards team wins had the following to say afterward with BNN.

"I knew number 700 would come sooner or later. I had to keep reminding myself, 'Relax, relax, just let it happen, let it happen.' And it finally did."

Morales now trails just Morris Pennebaker(703) & Bopper Kengos(720), atop the leaderboard standings in career home runs, after passing Charles Puckett earlier this season. Morales 1,760 career RBI place him 12th on the all-time list, with the possibility to move into the top 10 by the end of the season, with another 15 RBI.

“I really wish he was able to do it at home, and I know he wishes the same, but we’re incredibly proud of Emilio’s accomplishments on an off the field.” Said GM Justin Niles. “When I selected him for the all-star game, I knew he was sitting at 699 and thought it would be magnificent for him to hit 700 during all-star weekend, but he didn’t get a chance at the plate”.

While more and more players are finding themselves either hitting a home run or striking out, the same could never be said for Morales, who has struck out in just 8% of his career at bats. To put that into perspective, Morales has actually homered in 7.5% of his at bats, so he has hit a home run nearly as many times as he has struck out in his career. Some point to his low walk rating as a ding against him, however, his K/BB ratio is 2/1. If a player had walked 100 times in a season, many would likely be willing to look away from the 200 strikeouts.

Some point towards an inflated number from playing in Omaha, however a prior study showed Morales likely has benefited from a 3-4 home run per season increase when taking the entire BBA park factors into place. With that being the case, you’re still looking at a 650 home run player, who is still signed for 2 years after this season.

“Regardless of the entire situation, Emilio has 700, and we’re cheering hard in Omaha for him, and those cheers will turn into a celebration as he gets to 721.” Said GM Justin Niles. “We have something special for Emilio planned coming up and without spoiling it for everyone, it’s going to be an honor to have his legacy cemented with the franchise forever.”

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”