Starting pitcher Rich Jacobs quietly slides into “stopper” role after trade of Martinez.(47.04)

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

Starting pitcher Rich Jacobs quietly slides into “stopper” role after trade of Martinez.(47.04)

Post by niles08 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:01 pm

Rich Jacobs got his first taste of the BBA last season, pitching for Omaha in the playoffs out of the bullpen. He pitched quite well in limited, and apparently well enough to cause Omaha to not only call him up to the majors but also pluck him right into the stopper role after the club announced Ramon Martinez had been traded to Boise, just the day before opening day.

Jacobs was penciled in as the 1-2 punch in the rotation at AAA Lincoln with Mike Alexander before getting the call that he was needed to make the 45 minute drive east to Omaha.

The decision didn’t disappoint as during the first week of the season, Jacobs was called on to pitch 4 games out of Omaha’s first 5. He tossed 4 innings, recording a save and striking out 5 while allowing no earned runs despite a .462 BABIP.

It might be worth pointing out that Patrick Whitlock and Fernando Moran also recorded a save through Omaha’s first 5 games, so we might be looking at more of a “closer by committee” by bullpen in Omaha this season.

7teen
BBA GM

Re: Starting pitcher Rich Jacobs quietly slides into “stopper” role after trade of Martinez.(47.04)

Post by 7teen » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:22 pm

I've done the same with my own Juan Martinez. LIke Jacobs, hoping Martinez can be a solid stopper. Could also make for a good bottom of the rotation guy. Just depends on where the needs are most. At least in Jacobs' case he has more Stamina to be a starter if you needed him there.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

niles08
BBA GM

Re: Starting pitcher Rich Jacobs quietly slides into “stopper” role after trade of Martinez.(47.04)

Post by niles08 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:33 pm

7teen wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:22 pm
I've done the same with my own Juan Martinez. LIke Jacobs, hoping Martinez can be a solid stopper. Could also make for a good bottom of the rotation guy. Just depends on where the needs are most. At least in Jacobs' case he has more Stamina to be a starter if you needed him there.
My plan had been to slide him and Alexander both into the rotation sooner than later, but my rotation is overly staffed already, just as much as it appears every one else in the league has. There is a chance that if I don't find a way to hang onto Jorge Hernandez and Lance Harrison next season that Jacobs will slide into the rotation then, but I have a slight feeling Harrison is going to spend at least 2 weeks in AAA to work on his pitching to make sure he gets to spend another year in Omaha.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”