Celebration is short in Omaha as club looks towards 2047 quickly.(47.01)

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

Celebration is short in Omaha as club looks towards 2047 quickly.(47.01)

Post by niles08 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Just after the last pitch was thrown by Ramon Martinez, who had a perfect postseason allowing no earned runs and compiling 11 saves, the team erupted, just as the fans surrounding them did, and just as the entire state did. That final strikeout thrown by Ramon Martinez to Howard Burton closed the 2046 season unlike any season had been closed before for the franchise, this being their first title in time history.

We sat down with Omaha GM Justin Niles this week to recap the season that was, getting his perspective on trades the team made during the season, big moments during the season, and of course plans for the future.

“Looking back at trades that Omaha made last year, was there one that really sticks out as a difference maker?”

Niles: I mean we made several deals during the course of the year to better prepare ourselves to set up for a postseason run. One for sure was the Chandler Hall deal. Chandler pitched well for us in the last month of the season, although he did get hit somewhat hard in the playoffs when we bumped him into the rotation. The real gem in this one might have been Ramon Martinez. Man, he came in during the postseason with electric stuff and was able to close out those important games for us. We also had the big acquisition of Dick Walton, who before his injury was a difference maker for us. We’re excited to get him healthy and expect him to be back somewhere in May. We had the Montreal deal where we acquired Zalapa but we honestly didn’t have him long enough for me to point that one out, although he will obviously get a ring from us and get credit for winning the Brewster this season.

I think the biggest deal honestly might have been our pre-season trade with Long Beach for Terrence Kelly. Without Kelly, we likely wouldn’t have moved Parks to get Walton. Kelly came in and we knew he had a rough 2045, and we couldn’t be more excited about his work in 2046. I mean, a 3.46 ERA. He was just great for us and an amazing #5 guy for our rotation.
“Are there any big moments that stick out to you from the past season before entering the postseason”?

Niles: Well, just the fact we were 53-53 heading into August 1st shows that we were in a good position to make a potential impact. We were active at the deadline with the Hall/Martinez move and finished Aug & Sept with a record of 39-17.
You had a rookie backstop this year for the first time in many. What are your thoughts on the year Ichizo Sugiyama had behind the plate?

Niles: Do you know of a better “coming out party” than blasting 12 home runs in your first month in the BBA? I would have assumed you were crazy had you told me that before the season. Sugi had a phenomenal year for us and we’re excited that we have him for many years to come.
Who in your eyes was the MVP of the team this season?
Niles: Oh wow, I could choose so many guys. Every one of our regular starters who had over 206 at bats last year had more than 25 home runs, with Jimmy Starks even belting 18 with under 200 at bats. Our offense was as potent as it has ever been, and our pitching wasn’t far behind. I can’t pick one guy.
What’s your favorite part about winning it all?
Niles: Honesty, I am thrilled to not only give a championship to the city, but also I couldn’t be happier to see a few of these guys who have meant so much to the city in terms of community service and activism take it all home. You look at guys who have been here for as long as I have in Emilio and Jimmy. Then you have the guys who have spent their entire careers with us after joining us. Guys like James Monger and Orlando Ordonez, who were both amazing in the postseason. It’s just a great feeling to get them a ring.
You mention Emilio Morales, and I will bring up he had the worst season of his career last year batting just .206/.247/.375. He has a pretty big milestone potentially coming up next season assuming his home run pace continues. He’s currently at 689 home runs in his career, just 7 behind Charles Puckett for third and 31 off the all-time leader Bopper Kengos. Is this the year for Morales? to take over that top spot
Niles: I’d be thrilled for Emilio. He is such a humble guy and if you ask him he will claim he doesn’t know how many homers he has hit but he knows he has only struck out in 8% of his at bats. I just hope when he breaks it, he does it at home. Our fans deserve that and with Emilio here his entire career, he deserves to break it here.
Staying on the topic of 3rd base, you have an up and comer that some were whispering about last year and if Morales struggles again this year, could he find a spot in 2047 in the lineup?

Niles: Malik is doing great job of developing his skills further in our farm system. Let's not forget he is 19 years old. If he continues to develop, we’ll have no choice but to bring him up which is fantastic as we're really excited for the future with him.
Last question, outside of Chandler Hall, your entire team is under contract for next season. You also have Mike Alexander and Rich Jacobs to potentially find rotation spots for in 2047. With the entire team returning, what are the odds Omaha repeats!?

Niles: Well that is obviously the goal every single year. However, it’s such a rare occurrence that odds have to be at less than 1%. We’re thrilled at the team we have, and we’re going to take it one day at a time. We’ll continue to draft better, develop better, and utilize our guys to the best of their abilities each and every day. All we can do is try our best to make sure we score 1 more run than the opposing team. Let me tell you though, this team tasted the cake and champagne this year, they are driven. They are hungry still. There are guys who haven’t taken a day off yet and are continuing to show up daily to get in work. A championship is a sweet thing, but if you don’t repeat your no longer the reigning champions.

7teen
BBA GM

Re: Celebration is short in Omaha as club looks towards 2047 quickly.(47.01)

Post by 7teen » Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Oh man! Now I have to keep up with Omaha and Morales. Really gonna be pulling against the big fella! haha
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Thu May 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Nice read.... :)

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 pm

My celebration was shorter.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Thu May 06, 2021 8:46 pm

indiansfan wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 pm
My celebration was shorter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”