Emilio Morales reflects as he approaches #600 in exclusive sit down interview (44.05)

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

Emilio Morales reflects as he approaches #600 in exclusive sit down interview (44.05)

Post by niles08 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:07 am

Emilio Morales has been in what well call a 2 year slump. He has been below average at the plate finishing with a 93 wRC+ in 2042 and a 98 wRC+ in 2043. Obviously a far cry from his best season in which it was a 152 wRC+ back in 2037. Despite being average at the plate, Morales has still been able to do the work with his glove, finishing with a positive WAR each season.

During this 2 year “slump” Morales has hit 92 home runs and drove in 205 runners. He has also scored 157 runs. None of that is why we’re here though or what we are going to discuss. Instead, we sat down with Morales to discuss the fact he has 592 career home runs, and what his career so far has meant to him, and what his plans are for when he hits #600, and potentially #721. Below are tidbits from that interview with the World Herald. Catch the full story in Sunday's digital exclusive story.

OWH : You’ve been in Omaha your entire career, well with the franchise anyhow. You were technically in Indy for a year and a half before the relocation. What has it been like to spend your entire career in one city? Does anything stand out?

Morales: It’s been a blessing. I couldn’t have asked for more. This will be my 14th season in the BBA and to have spent it all in front of the same fans with the same guys in the same clubhouse is something not many people get to discuss doing. That right there stands out more than anything. I have a routine, and part of that routine is with those guys in the clubhouse that have been here much of the time I have been. Before every game, I am typically out playing catch with the fans, it’s just been a treat for me.

OWH: As you’ve gotten older, you’re now 34 years old in case you need reminding, has anything changed for you from a mental standpoint?

Morales: Yea, honestly I can feel myself slowing down. Id be lying if I didn’t say I was and knew I was. The thing that has really changed for me is that I have grown to enjoy every moment. I’m not a 22 year old kid anymore and I realize that. I have gone from focusing on myself to priding myself in helping some of our younger guys and being a potential mentor they can look up to.

OWH: Your sitting at 592 right now in career home runs, good for 8th on the all-time list. Despite the issues at the plate the past two seasons you still have been able to hit quite a few out of the park. Having said what you just said about slowing down, how far do you believe you can go?

Morales: I’m taking it one swing at a time. It’s been an amazing ride and seeing myself named among some of the best to have played offensively is an honor. Even numbers are fun so 600 will be a little celebration for the fans and for my family but my goal has always been to win a Landis ring. I would trade 1,000 home runs to get just one ring.

OWH: Needing only 128 home runs and projecting at a pace of 40 home runs a season, which seems realistic, you’re projected to break Bopper Kengos all time record of 720 at some point early in the 2047 season, be frank with us here…is that the goal?

Morales: Honestly, if that happens I would be humbled to set that record but I am worried about winning a Landis series. A record can be broken at any given time, but a Landis series ring lasts forever.

OWH: You’ve taken some criticism that maybe your home runs aren’t real because of the ballpark you have spent your career in. What do you say towards those critics?

Morales: If you’re being criticized, it typically means you’re doing something that is causing attention. Sometimes good attention, sometimes bad. I don’t think my home run total is a bad thing. I believe somebody did a study a few years back and found that my home ballpark increases my home run total by about 4 per year. If that is the case that certainly shouldn’t take away from my accomplishments but once again my main accomplishment is a Landis series win for not only myself, but for my teammates, fans, and the city of Omaha.

Morales is owed $56 over the next 5 seasons with the Cyclones. If he calls it a career after those 5 seasons, at age 39, he will without a doubt be one of the most prolific players to ever have laced up the cleats in Omaha.

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”