How did the Omaha 27 man roster come about? (39.7)

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

How did the Omaha 27 man roster come about? (39.7)

Post by niles08 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:53 pm

I have been around long enough now(almost 10 years in game) to assemble a team and be able to call it my own. After reading Ted’s piece on how his team came together, I wanted to dig into my team and see how my team had come together and see if I could see any consistencies or in-consistencies or things I could improve on.

This data is clear and accurate as of today based on the current 27 man roster, which has 28 current players on it. I don’t have cap room to acquire additional guys so this shouldn’t change much heading into the season.

I did include salary and contract type as others have done as I think that is rather important on team building.

Without further comment, let’s get rolling.

Here's a key:
Min = 500k min contract
Ext(Inc/Dec/Flat) - Extension with increasing year over year, decreasing year over year, or flat
IFA - IFA
Sct - Scout Find

Active 27 Man Roster:

2027:
PlayerSalaryContract TypeDate AcqSourceRoundPick
3B Emilio Morales30.4Ext/Dec7/21/2027Trade--
I would have it no other way than to have the the longest tenured player with the organization who is on the 27 man roster be none other than this guy. Acquired from Vancouver back in 2027 for Valeri Kharlamov in somewhat of a blockbuster trade at the time has turned out very well for Morales. He signed a long term front loaded extension with the club in 2036 and has found himself at the top of most of the clubs hitting leaderboards.

2028:

CL Jose Canales6.5Ext/Flat4/10/2028Draft615
Funny, the next longest tenured Hawk on the 27 man roster is the guy who set the clubs career saves record last season along with owning the single season record. Canales also signed an extension with the club keeping him around through the 2042 season.

2030:
RP Ken Spencer0.7Arb4/10/2030Draft45
OF Jimmy Starks Jr 16.4Ext/Dec4/10/2030Draft15

I wish I could take credit for these two picks, however this was the year before I arrived. Starks has been very good when healthy, and Spencer has been a piece of the bullpen the past few seasons in a year in which the only two remaining on the roster were acquired via draft.

2032:
SP Edris Mtume$8.0Ext/Inc12/5/2032Trade--
SP Carson Stoller $1.4Arb4/7/2032Draft11
Apparently I had a fairly quiet 2031, or a poor one, as nobody from 2031 is still on the roster however a trade and a draft pick now account for 40% of our current starting pitching rotation. Mtume was acquired in a package deal for star shortstop Angel Garcia(sigh), and Carson Stoller was taken with the first pick overall in the 2032 draft. Stoller has been a bit of a bust early on as he has battled through injury after injury.

2033:
SP Adam Barnard$10.3Ext/Flat3/13/2033Trade--
IF James Monger $6.8Ext/Inc4/6/2033Draft12
2033 was a better season from the draft and trade front as another starter was acquired via trade in which Adam Barnard was acquired for free. The only exception being that Omaha had to absorb the contract of Stelio Kontos. Monger was taken the clubs second top 2 pick in as many season and Monger has performed as expected accumulating 21.8 WAR over 4.5 seasons.

2034:
SP Stephen Clulow$5.1Ext/Dec7/28/2034Trade--
RP David Rivas$0.6Arb8/25/2034Trade--
A down season in 2034 from the draft apparently, but another pitcher acquired which has accounted for meaning 80% of the rotation has been with the club since 2035. Clulow was acquired from Nashville Goats in exchange for P Miroslav Tomanek and CL Aleixo Urgeses. Tomanek was one of the better relievers for the San Fernando Bears last season. David Rivas was also acquired via trade from Huntsville in 2034 in a package deal for Juan Nicto however only Rivas remains with the club.

2036:

1B Sergio Maldonado1.4Ext/Inc8/27/2036Trade--
OF Martin Marin4.8Ext/Inc8/27/2036Trade--
Another season, a few more trades. Maldonado was acquired from Charm City and has played first base the past 2 seasons, although last season lost some playing time to Rafael Gonzalez. Martin Marin has hit 82 home runs the past 2 seasons for Omaha as he played taken over in left field for the club full time. The club did deal a potential star in 1B Chua-kah Yang to Phoenix in order to acquire Marin.

2037:
C Dan Clapper 0.5Min11/14/2037Trade--
OF Gustavo Herrera0.5Min7/28/2037Trade--
OF Alonso Olvere0.5Min11/14/2037Trade--
SP Manuel Orosco0.5Min7/7/2037Trade--
A busy trade season for Omaha as they made 3 separate trades this season involving acquiring 4 players still on the active roster. Dan Clapper & Alonso Olvere were both acquired prior to the 2038 season from Montreal in a package deal involving catcher Hank Brewer. Gustavo Herrera was acquired from Vancouver in a salary swap involving Pablo Soto & JJ Mcquade. The most disappointing trade piece however may have been Manuel Orosco. He was injured when he was traded for, and only was able to make 5 starts this past season before tearing his rotator cuff once again sidelining him through essentially the entire 2039 season.

2038:
SP Claudio Delgado$1.6Ext/Flat7/1/2038Trade--
Thomas Rodriguez0.5Min8/19/2038Trade--
RP Pavel Bure Jr 2.0Ext/Inc1/16/2038FA--
RP Bengt De Meza1.6Ext/Flat5/13/2038Trade--
RP James Heath0.5Min7/1/2038Trade--
C John Hale0.5Min7/8/2038Trade--
1B Rafael Gonzalez0.5Min5/6/2038Trade--
Holy mackerel, looks like 2038 was the season of moves until you notice that 5 of the players were pitchers, 3 of which were relievers as I tried to shore up a bullpen that just would not fix itself. Delgado, De Meza, & Rodriguez were all acquired with Orosco & Stoller missing quite a bit of time with injuries and no depth in that spot. Bure was a free agent signing prior to the season that was unfortunately one of the more consistent bullpen arms this past year.

Rafael Gonzalez was sent from Jacksonville along with CF Vicente Chavez for Jose Rojas. Chavez was essentially going to be a salary dump until Huntsville agreed to take him for nothing a week later so the trade essentially worked out to be Gonzalez for Rojas.

John Hale was part of the much publicized trade with Des Moines involving a package of players. Hale however, failed to reproduce his early season batting line with Omaha that he had through the first half with Des Moines.

2039(Current offseason acquisitions):
RP Alfonso Javier0.5Min12/16/2038Rule 5--
RP Rafael Morales3.0Flat12/21/2038FA--
RP Augusto Cardenas2.2Flat1/1/2039Trade--
IF Michel Lambert 0.5Min12/16/2038Rule 5--
IF Edgardo Garcia0.5Min12/16/2038Rule 5--

Well, we can’t say too much about these guys because we aren’t sure what to make of them yet. Javier, Lambert & Garcia were all Rule 5 picks with Javier & Lambert seeming the most likely to make the squad while Garcia may be sent back. Morales signed to bolster the bullpen and a week later the club acquired a masterful bullpen arm in Augusto Cardenas strengthening what was a big weakness this past season.

Analysis:
# PlayersAcquisition Type% of roster
18Trade65%
3Rule 510%
5Draft18%
2Free Agency7%

Things that stick out immediately to me based on this chart :

Trades:

I apparently built quite a bit via trade. I would like to say that I did that coming in because I had some trade chips and was a struggling team losing 100 games a season when I took over however of the 18 people acquired, 11 of them have been since 2037.

It looks like they weren’t prospects in the minors anyhow as 14 of the 18 acquired had at least an at bat or pitch thrown in the BBA. And 10 of those 14 had thrown over 50 innings or had 100 career at bats at the BBA level at the time of acquisition.

Rule 5:

Not too surprised here. It’s hard to build anything through the rule 5 draft, but I have at least 1 or 2 players who are set to play a deep role in the organization this year as Lambert will more than likely get the start at 2B or Shortstop this year depending on where Monger starts.

Free Agency:

I have splashed in free agency quite a bit since I have gotten here, but my gut must be correct in feeling I have done a good job either signing players to 1 or 2 year deals or signing them and shipping them out for other pieces when the time came as I wasn’t competing at the time of the big splashes.

Drafting:

I know I have done a poor job in drafting. It’s as clear as ever. I have 5 guys in 10 years who have made it to the BBA and in those 10 years only 3 of the 5 have made big impacts (Canales, Starks, Monger). I wiffed early on with Stoller based on his injury reporting but this was my first ever online league and I was just getting back into playing OOTP so to have the first pick in a draft is intimidating and something I wasn’t ready for. I feel good with the Monger pick as he has the highest WAR in his draft class. I also think I have begun to draft a bit better since the 2036 season as those players are progressing through the minors. However to have the amount of players reach the BBA as I have had from drafting is pretty embarrassing and something that I have had my eye on. We currently have the 9th best minor league system according to OOTP which is a nice turnaround from being ranked 29th as we were last season before making a conscious turn around before the draft to make sure we analyze every player we can the best we possibly can.

So there you have it I suppose. Lots of different pieces, but some loyalty to certain players and hopefully some acquisitions this off-season that can right the ship and get us back into the playoffs.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: How did the Omaha 27 man roster come about? (39.7)

Post by RonCo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:10 am

Nice breakdown
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”