Omaha Off-Season Outlook (2039.4). The Bullpen

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

Omaha Off-Season Outlook (2039.4). The Bullpen

Post by niles08 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:13 pm

In this 4 part series, we will take an in depth look covering the infield, outfield, starting pitching, along with the bullpen. We will look at what last season held for each of these areas, along with what that means for the off-season and the future of the club.
For this part, we look at the bullpen.

I wish we didn’t have to even discuss it but the bullpen was bad. Really bad. 5.33 ERA and 15th in the FL bad. You look at the team’s pitchers and look at the individual pitchers WAR. The club had 11 pitchers with a negative WAR.

All 11 of them were relievers.

The most disappointing thing may be that David Rivas & Jose Canales who most figured would be reliable, were at the top of that list for the highest negative WAR. Canales had a -0.7 and Rivas was at -0.9.

Canales did manage 33 saves but had 12 loses on the year. Rivas, who is still only 23 years old just has not had the season yet where everything clicked. His advanced fielding metrics indicate the past 3 years his ERA should be in the 3’s and he finished with a 1.1 WAR in 2037, but his 6.29 FIP in 2038 baffled many. The biggest problem Rivas had was the inability to get out lefties as his .391 batting average and 1.157 OPS against lefties clearly shows.

What does the off-season hold and what does the 2039 bullpen look like?

Omaha has very little cap room this year but that cap room needs to be spent on a bullpen. The only guys who should be invited back are Rivas, Canales, Ken Spencer, and maybe Pavel Bure Jr. The rest should be given their walking papers.

So that is a bullpen of 4 people, 5 if you include Thomas Rodriguez which we probably should. Let’s say they give James Heath another look as well. That is 6 bullpen members and 5 rotation members. They should spend the money and go out and get 2 or 3 more relievers or at the very least 1 completely lock down reliever.

If Omaha is spending money this offseason at all or making moves, it should be to help their poor bullpen.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Omaha Off-Season Outlook (2039.4). The Bullpen

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:11 am

I'm not 100% sure, but I think negative WAR is bad.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

niles08
BBA GM

Re: Omaha Off-Season Outlook (2039.4). The Bullpen

Post by niles08 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:18 am

I honestly cannot believe how bad the bullpen was last year. I usually had one of the better bullpens each season, and last year just fell completely off.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”