Omaha Off-Season Outlook (2039.3). The Rotation

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

Omaha Off-Season Outlook (2039.3). The Rotation

Post by niles08 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:11 pm

In this 4 part series, we will take an in depth look covering the infield, outfield, starting pitching, along with the bullpen. We will look at what last season held for each of these areas, along with what that means for the off-season and the future of the club.
For this part, we look at the starting rotation.

The starting rotation in 2038 was a bit different than in 2037 but it originally was not expected to be. Manuel Orosco was expected to fill in the opening left by 2037 15 game winner Hirotada Miura but Orosco only lasted 5 starts before tearing his rotator cuff for the 2nd time in as many seasons.

Carson Stoller was not far behind, as in May he was sidelined for 3 months with elbow inflammation.

That is when the wheels fell off as the clubs starting pitching depth (or lack thereof) began to show itself. The club turned to nearly every player it could think of and started 10 different players in a game this year. That included Tim Saslove, who was drafted just weeks before hand and actually came in and pitched a complete game.

Finally, a breather came in the sense of Bengt De Meza. The club traded for Bengt De Meza from Charm City and De Meza would quickly settle in starting 24 games for the club with a 4.53 ERA.

That still left a revolving door in Stoller’s spot for much of the season as Stoller only ended up pitching in 19 games.

The club did acquire Claudio Delgado on July 1st but his showing was underwhelming at best as his ERA was over 2 runs worse per 9 innings over his 7 starts with the club than with Brooklyn. He spent the end of the year in AAA Lincoln, and had a much better showing although he isn’t expected to participate in the rotation this year.

Thomas Rodriguez was also acquired on August 19th from Valencia in exchange for 2 bullpen pitchers. Rodriguez only appeared in 3 games for the club at the BBA level tossing 7.1 innings of scoreless ball. He spend most of 2038 in AAA split between San Jose & Lincoln and accumulated a 4.44 ERA and a FIP nearly a run better. Rodriguez is a player that with an injury, could expect to go into the rotation. He is currently listed as Omaha's #2 pitching prospect.

Edris Mtume & Stephen Clulow both had excellent seasons and the front office has to be happy to see them make it injury free. Adam Barnard took a large step back this past year with an ERA of 5.32 and has seen his ERA go from 3.36 in 2036 to 4.34 in 2037 and now another jump of nearly a run to 5.32. His strikeouts were way down which has to be concerning to the front office.

What does the off-season hold?

I would be surprised to see any additions here. The club picked up some much needed depth with Delgado & Rodriguez and at some point should also expect to see Orosco return although that looks like it will be August at the earliest.

What does next season’s rotation look like?

If I had to pencil it in right now, I would say your looking at Mtume, Clulow, Barnard, Stoller, & De Meza in the rotation with Rodriguez pitching in long relief for the time being waiting for an opportunity to get into the rotation. I would expect if/when Orosco returns, he will take De Meza’s spot in the rotation and De Meza will shift to the bullpen however it’s possible Orosco returns to the bullpen only.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Omaha Off-Season Outlook (2039.3). The Rotation

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:10 am

Omaha's injuries were debilitating last year... if the rotation stays healthy, if should be a reality solid team.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:19 am

I'm honestly considering moving Stoller to the bullpen this year just to save his arm from an injury. My only hesitation has been because he has been hurt, yes, but he has still managed most seasons to start most games. I think one more long term injury may force my hand however.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am

It's certainly worth babying him a bit.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”