Omaha “State Of Hawk Nation” Address(38.57)

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

Omaha “State Of Hawk Nation” Address(38.57)

Post by niles08 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:46 am

With quite a bit going on in the state of Nebraska, the front office has released a lengthy statement on the current state of the team, rumors of Quenton Richardson being on the hot seat, how the draft went for the club, and the clubs plans moving forward.

The full statement is below:
As we have progressed through the 2038 campaign, things have not gone completely our way. We have dealt with some injuries to our starting rotation, we have dealt with some salary cap restrictions, and we have dealt with quite a few losses.

The loss of Manuel Orozco for the remainder of the season and potentially the 2039 season, followed by the sudden injury to Carson Stoller put a huge damper on our starting pitching staff. I think anytime you lose 40% of anything, you have to have concern.

We did our best to offset these injuries, but with our team payroll where it was along with the available pitchers, sometimes it’s best to make a move geared more toward the future than an immediate impact.

As for our bullpen, it has been unfortunately a disaster area. While our pitchers have gone out and given their best, we have had some unfortunate leads blown after our starting pitchers have exited the games and while were all frustrated over that, those pitchers are also extremely frustrated.

We have recently made some acquisitions that should attempt to both bolster the bullpen along with giving us some starting pitching depth for next season and beyond incase injuries like these occur again.

We also recently acquired John Hale from Des Moines, who will take over immediate starting catcher duties after the all-star game and make an impact for seasons to come.

Despite a poor record at this point and time, it’s not all bad in Omaha.

Offensively, a few of our players have fallen off a bit from last season, but much of that is uncontrollable and some unluckiness. Case in point, Alonso Olvere has a batting average of nearly .70 points lower than last season. His batting average on balls in play is also nearly 1.00 lower as it currently sits at .231. That is a sure sign that Olvere is doing things well and will return back to his normal self with time.

Another example of a horribly low BABIP for you stat guys is recently acquired Rafael Gonzales. His .215 BABIP has him wishing he had Olvere’s. Don’t get me started on Jake Williams and his .189 BABIP this season.

Let’s just call those 3 guy’s 2038 seasons very unlucky. These guys’ are doing what they should be doing and with a little luck coming their way rather than bad luck, I think we could be much closer to a playoff position.

I also want to point out that not only do we believe in our players, but we currently have 0 pending free agents for the upcoming off-season and only 2 for the 2040 season (Max Hatcher, Bengt De Meza). If you need any more proof that we believe in the players that we have in this organization then look no further than that. We have dished out nearly $200,000,000 in guaranteed contracts to our players over the past 6 months and those are contracts that we intend to run out while those players are wearing a Hawks jersey.

We also want to take a minute to discuss the contract of Hawks manager Quentin RichardsonQuentin Richardson. Quentin has been with the organization since the 2028 season, when he was the hitting coach at Plant City(Now Mankato). He became the full time hitting coach for our BBA Club(Then Indy) in 2031 and was promoted to manager in 2034. He has not only had a winning record each season since 2034, but he has made the playoffs 3 of those 4 seasons. As a side note, the season he missed the playoffs, the club won 88 games.

Quentin is going nowhere. He will not be relieved of his duties. He will not be traded to another team. He is our guy, and our clubs leader and will be until he chooses to retire from the game.

That’s all that needs to be said about it. No further questions will be taken regarding our personnel.

While we clearly wish that this season had gone differently for our organization, one item we are thrilled with is that a down year will not turn into a full on rebuild. We have built the Omaha club to be competitive year in and year out without having the necessary rebuild seasons that some clubs must have as they age.

How do we plan to do this when our guys get older?

We simply are going to draft well and be smart with our money. It all starts from within.

Speaking of the draft, we know some of our draft picks over the past few seasons have not worked out as we had hoped, but I will be the first to tell you that I feel we had a very good draft. We felt strong about the individuals selected and believe that not only will they make an impact on the field, but an impact in the communities as they eventually make their way to Omaha.

As we approach the midway of the 2038 season, I want to send out my heartfelt thank you to all of you who follow our club like a religion, and even those who just catch a sporadic game. We could do it without you.

Thank you for believing us, yesterday, today, and into the future.

Justin Niles
Hawks General Manager

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Omaha “State Of Hawk Nation” Address(38.57)

Post by ae37jr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Just my honest opinion... I can't buy it. The Hawks are fully extended financially as it is. 8 players are locked up to long term deals. Many of them 4 or more years. Law of averages says at least one or two of them end up a bust. I think you are going to run into a lot of the problems that Twin Cities is going through now. Players are going to lump and you'll be stuck trying to get out from under those contracts, many of which aren't great to begin with.

However you make a lot of trades and sometimes can pull a rabbit out of a hat. So I could be totally wrong. I just know that YS9 is about to become the new Rockville and can't see Omaha keeping up with that.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:44 pm

1.) YS9 does not make me very happy and should not be mentioned in the State Of The Hawk Nation address.

2.) Gotta have faith that my guys who have developed will stay developed until they are 45.

3.) In all seriousness, the only thing I have going is that most of the contracts were only for 2 or 3 years (Barnard, Marin, Maldonado,Mtume) so the players will only be approaching 30 when the deals run out. Hopefully they retire at that time or lump right then and there and want to be on minor league deals with the organization until they retire.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Omaha's in a solid enough position. They've pretty got all their chips on the table, and we'll see what happens.

I don't foresee a Rockville kind of team in Yellow Springs. Not enough top end to basically just show up and win, but I like where we're going at present. One would expect an Omaha State of Hawk Nation would have to touch on The Yellow Horde to the East. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”