58.37 Rule 5 Acquisition Finds a Home

Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

Bob Breum
BBA GM

58.37 Rule 5 Acquisition Finds a Home

Post by Bob Breum » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 pm

No one was more surprised than 22-year-old Leonardo Rodríguez when he was selected in the Rule 5 draft in December. After two decent seasons with Vancouver’s AA-affiliate, the Charleston Clippers, he was hoping for a promotion to AAA Victoria to begin 2024. Instead, he found himself in big league camp with New Orleans. Despite a serious case of impostor syndrome, Rodriguez worked hard to justify his new team’s faith in him. Unfortunately, midway through Spring Training, he sprained his knee and spent five weeks on the injured list.

Leonardo Rodríguez

He finally made his big league debut as a pinch hitter on the road in Rockville, flying out to centerfield. He went on to start 16 games, usually as the designated hitter, and batted .213/.318/.436 in 94 at-bats, good for an OPS+ of 106. Not awful, but not what a team is looking for from its DH. Soon, the summons to the manager’s office came. He was going to be returned to Vancouver. The team wished him well and appreciated his contribution. He was not surprised, but disappointed nevertheless.

Later that day, he was cleaning out his locker when the clubbie told him that the manager wanted to see him. “Now what?” he wondered. Was it possible that they had changed their minds? A tiny bubble of hope surfaced.

“Sit down, Leo. I’ve got good news,” said manager Jared Gillstrom. Leo had been in awe of Gillstrom since he arrived in camp back in February. Gillstrom was a Hall of Fame shortstop who had won just about every award possible.

“I just got off the phone with Mr. Roberts.” Roberts was the New Orleans general manager. “He’s worked a deal with Montreal. You’re not going back to Vancouver. You’re going to stay in the big leagues with the first place Blazers.”

Rodríguez was stunned. He just sat there with his mouth open.

“Leo, you’re going to like it there. It’s a class organization. I loved my days with Montreal. I’ve already called Ernie and told him what a good kid you are.” Gillstrom stood up. “See the travel secretary. He’s got your plane ticket. Good luck, son!”

[Narrator voiceover] “Leo did indeed like Montreal. In his first 39 games with his new club, he hit .241/.375/.483 for a 139 OPS+. Since his arrival, he had been the everyday DH versus right-handed pitching. After a red-hot August that saw him hit .265/.402/.482 against RHP, he was elevated to hit second ahead of two future Hall of Famers, Gonzalez and Aldo. Maybe he wasn’t an impostor, after all.”
Bob Breum
Co-GM (Position Players)
2057 Johnson League champions
2057 Johnson League GM of the Year

Montreal Blazers

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Re: 58.37 Rule 5 Acquisition Finds a Home

Post by JimBob2232 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:54 am

Nice article! Glad to see him doing well.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 58.37 Rule 5 Acquisition Finds a Home

Post by RonCo » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:07 am

Love it when a Rule 5 guy pans out like that.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Montreal Blazers”