58.17 Morán Finds Unlikely Support Group

Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

Bob Breum
BBA GM

58.17 Morán Finds Unlikely Support Group

Post by Bob Breum » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:28 am

After the humiliating spectacle of being ejected on Opening Day for arguing a called third strike, Eduardo Morán wanted to disappear. He’d let down his family who came to watch him play, he had made a bad impression on his new teammates, and he’d endured an ass chewing from no-nonsense bench coach Clancy Williams.

When the team filed into the clubhouse after a dominating 8-3 victory, he sat in front of his locker with a towel over his head and tried to avoid eye contact. He was calculating how long he had to stay before he could make his exit unnoticed and go back to the hotel when he became aware of three sets of feet surrounding his downcast eyes. The feet in the center moved and he felt the towel leave his head. He reluctantly looked up and found himself looking into the eyes of Rudy, the team’s reserve infielder.

“Eddie, me and the boys here want to buy you dinner and relive our glory days with the Fighting Pheasants. Get yourself dressed. We’re not taking no for an answer.”

Morán’s head swiveled and took in the owners of the other two pairs of feet. He recognized Oz and Tommy. The four of them all had rings from winning The Big One back in 2053 with the Brooks Fighting Pheasants, San Fernando’s AAA club. Memories came flooding back and he almost smiled.

“I can’t, I have my family here,” he replied to Rudy, who was one of the leaders in the clubhouse, just like the old days.

“Too late. Coach Clancy already talked to your mom and got the green light. You’re coming with us,”
said Rudy. “Dress nice.”

He saw Coach Williams watching from the hallway. He was beginning to understand why players loved playing here. He stood up and embraced his teammates. Maybe things would be okay.

Later that evening, the four regaled each other with stories from their time together. He had been the team’s regular center fielder, starting 123 games accruing 2.4 WAR and a 10.3 zone rating. The team had won 91 of 144 games to finish in first place before going on to claim The Big One. Oz had started 14 games for the Fighting Pheasants, going 8-3 with a 3.96 ERA. Tommy spent most of the season with the big league club but did throw 18 innings for Brooks. Rudy also was on loan from the Bears, starting games at 2B, 3B, and SS while he was with Brooks. That was a good year, one of his best. It felt good to sit here with these guys who remembered the player that he was then.

Morán had a smile on his face as he took the elevator up to his room. He liked it here. He wanted it to last as long as possible. He’d heard that José Leyva had had a setback in his recovery. That would buy him some time.
Bob Breum
Co-GM (Position Players)
2057 Johnson League champions
2057 Johnson League GM of the Year

Montreal Blazers

Return to “Montreal Blazers”