58.08 Bill Cole's Very Interesting Day

Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

Bob Breum
BBA GM

58.08 Bill Cole's Very Interesting Day

Post by Bob Breum » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:14 am

Bill Cole had an interesting day on Sunday. He got up and went to church, as is his custom on Sundays during the offseason. He was out to lunch with his family after the service when his mobile phone rang. He apologized to his family but told them that it was his agent on the line and he had to take the call. It was the news that he was hoping for – he was joining the Montreal organization on a minor league deal with a major league option. His agent thought that there was an excellent chance that he could be called up; to the best of his knowledge, Montreal was still looking for a left-handed corner outfielder to platoon at the position. This could be his ticket back to the BBA!
Bill Cole

After lunch, Cole and his family returned home full of excitement. A major league contract would mean a lot to them, after years of laboring in AAA. He’d had a shot with San Antonio four years earlier, but the dreaded sophomore slump had seen him sent back down to AAA. He’d been out of baseball entirely in 2056 but joined Phoenix’s AAA squad for three months last season before getting released. At age 32, he was beginning to think his time had run out before this opportunity surfaced.

It was after dinner when his phone rang again. His agent’s name showed on the Caller ID screen. He muted the TV and shushed his kids, then picked up the call. It was good news and bad news, said his agent. Which did he want first? “Tell me the bad news,” he said.

“You’re not going to New Jersey (Montreal’s AAA affiliate),”
his agent told him.

“What’s the good news?” Cole asked eagerly.

“You were selected in the first round of the Rule 5 draft, buddy. You’re going to the big leagues again. I hope you like New Orleans!”

Cole leapt out of his chair and hugged his wife. “We’re moving to The Big Easy! I’m playing for the Crawdads!” Could this be his big break? A new beginning for Cole and family? Let’s hope so!
Bob Breum
Co-GM (Position Players)
2057 Johnson League champions
2057 Johnson League GM of the Year

Montreal Blazers

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Re: 58.08 Bill Cole's Very Interesting Day

Post by JimBob2232 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:23 am

Well..I certainly need some OF help. He is a good platoon bat. Decent glove - but a noodle arm. It’s probably 50/50 of he sticks with me at this point.

Krathan
BBA GM

Post by Krathan » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:49 am

Hopefully he doesn’t buy a house in New Orleans before he at least gets through spring training and earns a definite spot on the roster.
Krathan (Nathan)
Cairo Pharaos GM 2055 (2055 GBC Champion)
Charlotte Cougars/Flyers GM Sept. 2055-??? (2058 JL Wildcard)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:53 am

Hope he sticks someplace this season. That '54 season was something.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:56 pm

I love these little stories.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Montreal Blazers”