The Montreal Minute(46:6): Change is in the Air!

Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

HerbD
Ex-GM

The Montreal Minute(46:6): Change is in the Air!

Post by HerbD » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:27 pm

Image .....
..... DeSpain Ships Zalapa to Omaha!! .....
A press conference has been announced for the beat writers of the Montreal Blazers. Three reporters and a high school kid have made it on time to hear Blazers GM Herb DeSpain tell his assistant "I'm glad we aren't in Chicago or Rockville with this kind of news!"

DeSpain walks to his podium and begins to read from a prepared statement, "I have called you all here to announce a trade has been made. 2B Angel Zalapa and pitcher Agniruha Gaekwad have been traded to Omaha for a bunch of players that you have never heard of and may never hear of. AND we are retaining 100% of Zalapa's 2046 salary. Questions?"

Jacques Beauchamp of Le Journal de Montréal, "You have the best record in the Johnson League, why would you make this move now and mess up the team chemistry?"
DeSpain, "Good question. All of us in the front office knew that Angel was not going to be here next year at $27 million. And he wasn't performing like a $27 million player. I think even Angel himself would tell you that."

Bobby Boucher Jr., "If it is a salary dump then why are you retaining his 2046 salary?"
DeSpain, "Another good question. Three phases to this: It frees up the cap space for next year immediately, it saves us the $5.5 million buyout next year, and three it keeps us in good spirits with Angel should we want to bring him back this offseason, at a reduced salary of course."

John Saunders of ESPN the Ocho, "Who is gonna play second now?"
DeSpain, "WOW, you guys are on fire with these questions. Right now Lineu Aldo slides back to second while Cesar Feliciana and Theodosio Narcisio will play first."

Bobby Boucher Jr. , "What about Skinner? Why not let him play second?"
DeSpain, "Three...the number of good questions you guys can ask in a row is THREE! Have you seen Coy Skinner play second base? It is not pretty!! We are trying to find a spot to get his bat on the major league roster but the guy just cannot field to save his life! Next question!"

Jacques Beauchamp, "How do you feel the return was on this trade?"
DeSpain, "Doesn't matter. We got rid of Zalapa's 2047 salary AND we got rid of Gaekwad! I would have given Zalapa to Omaha just for taking Gaekwad off our hands. So if the any of the five prospects we got back show up here with a pulse then I'd say we come out ahead in this deal."

Montreal Blazers(BBA) 2044~2047(353-295, .545 W%)
2045 Wildcard(lost in one round)
2046 Atlantic Champs(lost in one round)

Return to “Montreal Blazers”