June Recap 1.7

Post by handaspencer » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 pm

June record 15-14
Team Avg .251
Team ERA. 5.49
Team WAR 10.13
Team RD-114
Team attendance -21.5%

June finally provided a winning month in Montreal after the Blazers finished the month 15-14 and has brought them within 2.5 games for 2nd place in the Atlantic division. GM Spencer is really encouraged by what is occurring in Montreal. Starting May 21st until last sim we have gone 22-17 and more than anything we are changing the outlook on this season. Critics can downplay this winning streak by bringing up during this same period they also have a -3 run differential. As an organization we do monitor RD and do believe it can be a tool along with many things to give you an idea of how good your team is. But the bottom line is for the past 6 weeks we are winning and you can throw all that other data out the window. What that data fails to show is you take away 3 games during that same period that we really struggled and we have a positive +29 RD.

I am really proud of the guys for not letting this season get away from us. I am going to hold everyone accountable regardless of what the overall ratings say they should be, or regardless of how much money they make. We want the people here that believe in this plan and I believe that is finally occurring and the results are supporting that. Making the trades that we have made has really opened up a few eyes. They guys are aware this organization has opened up some money and could potentially add someone next year that plays their position. Spots will be open and I challenge everyone to make the most of this opportunity this season. I feel its important to have competition at multiple positions to push individuals and the team is benefiting as a result.

For example the Blazers claimed Jesus Lopez on waivers from Brooklyn and in his Montreal debut he went 8 IP and only gave up 3 ER. Jesus really provided us a much needed start as we have been really struggling at the bottom of the rotation. We noticed most of his opportunities this season was in relief and he never went more than 4 IP in one game this season so we felt he had some life in that arm and the stamina to give us some innings. He had a little success in the minors starting and with the lack of SP we have had this season he seemed like someone we wanted to bring in and give a shot. Obviously we don't want him throwing 135 pitches every outing and we will work on getting that down but we also felt that it was important to just let him throw and he was excited for the opportunity.

In another minor move the Blazers made they acquired SS Jose Lopez also on waivers from San Fernando. We really struggled all season to get anything from the SS position. We really liked Lopez ability to play the position defensively and he has been stellar with glove since he arrived June 5th. We understand where Lopez is as a batter but we just needed something positive from the position and he has provided that. We ranked 29th defensively from the SS position before Lopez arrival and it was killing us in a position where defense it valuable.

We understand we need to make huge improvements to catch Rockville and compete in the Atlantic. But in the meantime we are focused on all 27 roster spots and improving every spot 1-27. Its important to show improvement to our fan base and ownership and we have been able to do that. We are approaching the All Star break and we are ready for the rest and I am excited to see us finish this season out strong. As we approach the deadline the phones have been ringing and there could be some movement if we like the offer. July should certainty be interesting and could set the tone for 2039.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: June Recap 1.7

Post by recte44 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 am

Jesus Lopez is exactly the kind of pitcher that should get a shot with a rebuilding club like yours. Good to see he was successful. Hope it continues.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Montreal Blazers”