Dempsey Back At It

Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

Zeggo
Ex-GM

Dempsey Back At It

Post by Zeggo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:42 am

Apologizes for my "Series in Review" regular series. Probably not a good idea to start up a regular series right before the holiday season. I may try and catch up this weekend, but I did want to get something out there this week.

The first half of his career Mark Dempsey was a dependable, productive, all-star quality third baseman. The second half has seen a lot of unpredictability. In the last 6 seasons he has only played 130 games once, left New Orleans to sign a free agent deal with Montreal. It used to be when he only hit 30 HRs he was having a bad season, now 30 seems like his cap...until this season.

Dempsey has been playing like a man possessed so far this season with a whopping 17 HRs and 41 RBI in only 34 Games. He's been a big reason that the Blazers haven't fallen further behind after some early season struggles. There is no argument, if he can keep this up Dempsey will garner some MVP votes.

After only playing 56 games in his age 34 season, there were some questions about how productive he would be in his return from injury. Not to mention two upcoming team options at 10 and 12 million per and Dempsey looked like he could be on his way out. Don't tell that to Manager Kayne Grandage though, "We always believed in him. Mark had some bad luck last season, but we saw how hard he was working to come back. We were counting on him being a part of the near future and the way he mentors the young guys, I could see him on my staff down the line."

While 80 HRs and 200 RBI doesn't seem particularly realistic with the way Dempsey is swinging the bat he's almost guaranteed 40/100 and his 8th all-star appearance. Only time will tell if the injury bug of father time will catch up to him, but we can't help but rooting for Old Man Mark.
Zach Grant

Montreal Blazers GM
2037 - Present

Return to “Montreal Blazers”