2037.5: A Series in Review - LOU, TWC

Co-GM: Bob Breum
Co-GM: Erik Breum

Moderators: breum, Bob Breum

Zeggo
Ex-GM

2037.5: A Series in Review - LOU, TWC

Post by Zeggo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:56 am

This will be a (hopefully) reoccurring review of each series from the Blazers prospective upon completion.

This sim saw the Blazers complete two series against the Louisville Sluggers and the Twin Cities River Monsters.

Louisville Sluggers

Game 1: 9-0 Blazers Win
Not much to say about this one other than that everything went as expected in the Blazers home opener.Matt Hansen gave the Blazers eight innings of shutout ball while Mark Dempsey went 2-4 with his first HR of the season. As close to a perfect game as could be expected for the Blazers.

Game 2: 6-4 Blazers Win
This game was a much more competitive affair than the first of the series. Down 4-3 heading into the bottom of the 9th, Blazers leadoff hitter Juan Santana had his 5th hit of the night, a solo shot to tie up the game. Then with two outs later that inning Mark Dempsey sent the fans home with a walk off home run. Luis Ortega got the win in his home debut for the Blazers after being acquired from New Orleans.

Game 3: 4-5 Blazers Loss
After narrowly avoiding extras the night before, the Blazers played 14 innings against the Sluggers in this one. Jubal Troop pitched valiantly, giving the Blazers 9 innings with 2 earned runs while striking out 10. After being the hero the night before, Mark Dempsey hit a solo shot in the bottom of the 9th in order to send it into extras. Both teams were able to put one across in the 11th, however the Sluggers were able to get to Esteban Velasquez in his second inning of work. A disappointing loss, however the Blazers still come away with the series win.

Twin Cities River Monsters

Game 1: 6-5 Blazers Win
Coming off 14 innings the day before the bullpen could have used some time off. Unfortunately, the Blazers were in for another extra inning game to start off this series. It was a total team effort as the Blazers put up 20 hits, but only managed to score 6 runs with the final one coming in the 12th inning.

Game 2: 3-4 Blazers Loss
A bit of an uneventful game for the Blazers. They only managed to get 3 runs on 4 hits, but even with the offense struggling lost by one. Starter Vicente Lopez stumbled a bit in the 6th, giving up 3 runs including a 2 run HR which the Blazers weren't able to recover from.

Game 3: 8-6 Blazers Loss
After his gem against Louisville in his last start, Matt Hansen bounced back to earth and was only able to provide 5 innings to start the game. This left a gassed bullpen to handle the rest of the evening. Jermaine Clayton and Ramon Garza provided relief in the 6th inning, however gave up 3 runs in that time. Those runs ended up being the difference with the Blazers losing by 2.

Take Away:[/b] Generally pleased. Despite only going 3-3 I was competitive in every game. I may want to adjust how quickly I go to the bullpen, my starters are sticking in there just a little too long on some occasions.

Stud of the Series: 3B Mark Dempsey- 8 for 25, 4 HR, 8 RBI
Dud of the Series: RF Jody Crawford- 1 for 25, 0 Runs, 0 RBI
Series W/L: 1-2-0
On Deck: NO, YS9
Zach Grant

Montreal Blazers GM
2037 - Present

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Re: 2037.5: A Series in Review - LOU, TWC

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:33 am

Bullpen management is one of the mysteries I’ve yet to solve.

I'd love for there to be a more advanced system with a depth chart and additional custom situations. Force the manager to use certain pitchers more.

For example, there could be 3 pitchers in the exact same role and somehow the game may always seem to use one pitcher and neglect the other two. And there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Even if you put "Use more often", a pitcher may get ignored.

Or a long relief guy will get ton's of work while a set up guy gets left out for days.

Seriously, I still can't understand what's going on half the time.

I understand why some of you just put everyone as middle relief... lol.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

Zeggo
Ex-GM

Post by Zeggo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah, I'm going crazy with my bullpen with every guy having a different role in another league and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Some sort of bullpen depth chart would be incredible, even something similar to the manager settings.
Zach Grant

Montreal Blazers GM
2037 - Present

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 pm

I gave up a long time ago, just sling them all in there and hope for the best :angry:
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Spiccoli wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:33 am
Bullpen management is one of the mysteries I’ve yet to solve.

I'd love for there to be a more advanced system with a depth chart and additional custom situations. Force the manager to use certain pitchers more.

For example, there could be 3 pitchers in the exact same role and somehow the game may always seem to use one pitcher and neglect the other two. And there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Even if you put "Use more often", a pitcher may get ignored.

Or a long relief guy will get ton's of work while a set up guy gets left out for days.

Seriously, I still can't understand what's going on half the time.

I understand why some of you just put everyone as middle relief... lol.
Your last line is why I do it. The best luck I've had is making everyone middle relief and using "use more often" and "use less often" to get the rsults I want. And it's still wonky. This year my long reliever who is set to low leverage only has pitched 3 times and one of my two middle relievers set to high leverage and use more often hasn't pitched yet. I've also thought about making everyone setup and seeing if I can use the "xth inning and later" settings to get the results I want.

I love your idea about a more advanced system with cases and depth charts. Someone should have thought of, and implemented that, a long time ago.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:16 pm

you guys should take a look at how that idiot in long beach sets up his bullpen... :crazylaugh:
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Montreal Blazers”