Sticking Points 2058.6: Dreaming

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2058.6: Dreaming

Post by JimSlade » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:24 pm

"Ever have a dream that was going so well," says a Rockville Pikemen front office member who asked not to be identified, "that you wish you could sleep on a few more minutes, thinking it might greet you when you open your eyes?"

We were at seated at the hotel bar in Boise following the Pikemen's 6-4 win over the hometown Spuds, in a game dominated by the streaky Carlos Rodriguez, who drove in 3 runs on a home run and a double. At first, I thought my drinking partner was referring to the big league club's recent 7-2 run, which has begun to ease the burn in the clubhouse caused by the 4-20 dive that preceded it. Then he mentioned names like O'Reily and bin Kaseem, and I caught his gist. Tim O'Reily and Fida bin Kaseem are 2 of the hard-hitting outfielders in the lower ranks of Rockville's improving farm system.

Currently ranked 10th overall among BBA minor league systems, the organization has been cultivating a wealth of line-drive hitting corner outfielders, including Bernardo Flores and Ekela Kirila among the aforementioned dreamboats. First baseman Masahiko Harada, the team's first pick in the 2055 draft, is the young slugger closest to a spot in Rockville's power-starved lineup. The 21 year old is polishing his craft at AAA Dodge City, where his play at first base has been better than expected. "Once his power at this level gets locked in," says my enthusiastic bar mate, "we'll find space for him in Rockville."

With injured shortstop Socrates Kazantziakis sitting on an opt-out clause after this season and second baseman Richard Vernon showing his limitations while filling in back at his native position, the development of AAA middle infielders Roberto Lopez and Rick Polen is being watched closely. "Lopez might be able to add value with his glove alone," my insider says between sips on a sidecar. "Polen is more of a classic utility guy."

Young pitching talent trails the hitting talent in the Pikemen farm system, but AAA starters Jorge Ramirez and Joseph Hartman, the latter acquired from the Twin Cities organization in the Luis Gonzalez deal, have live arms and poise beyond their years. Hartman is 23. "We think Hartman could find his way into our pen before too long. We want to go slow with Ramirez, though." The groundballer is still a few weeks short of 21. "Kid had some trouble a couple of years ago. Our training staff has him showing up for the bell this season."

Back in AAA for a little more seasoning is reliever Earl Cox, who held his own over 31 appearances in Rockville. "Earl will be back. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a little more command and a better infield behind him."

We ordered another round of sidecars as we tried to convince ourselves of the upside of kids like 2056 3rd-round pick Vinnie Walls, who is showing signs of usefulness at short A Port of Spain. No amount of sidecars could convince us that the organization has an ace developing. Or even a #2.

"Remember that dream I was telling you about," my compadre is still lost in reverie. "OK, we got work to do. Even if I can dream it into being," he continues, "we're still going to have to acquire and/or develop pitching, a shortstop, a conventional third baseman, a catcher. At least we've got some assets in the hopper."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2058.6: Dreaming

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:47 pm

Power hitting corner outfielders for days. Harada has the ratings to be in the BBA now but his current production gives me pause.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2058.6: Dreaming

Post by JimSlade » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:12 pm

Right, I want to see Harada perform like a top-tier guy before I move him up. Also, his fielding ratings stink, but his performance has been all right in twice-weekly starts in the field. I hope to amp up his on-foeld time and see if he can become a mediocre fielder, not just a DH.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”