Sticking Points 2058.4: Thank God for Vernon

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2058.4: Thank God for Vernon

Post by JimSlade » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:59 pm

The 4-20 run of misery the Rockville Pikemen have been living through since the last week in April has put a damper on whatever mild enthusiasm players and fans might have deluded themselves into feeling since the end of spring training. The Pikemen have established a diverse means of losing games, from horrendous starting pitching performances through cold bats and heartbreaking bullpen implosions. One bright light has shone through the darkness: 22-year-old second baseman Richard Vernon is batting .382 and getting on base at a .429 clip.

"Thank god for Vernon," one can hear Rockville fans muttering every time the youngster steps to the plate.

The former 1st-round pick batted .314 in 2057, his first full season in the BBA. "Richard's always had the bat-to-ball skills," says hitting coach Jorge Gonzalez, who came to Rockville in the closing days of last season. "This year, he's seeing more pitches. He's never going to lead the league in walks, but he's not rushing to make contact with every pitch he can reach."

Double-play and top-of-the-order partner Socrates Kazantziakis, who's also instigating threats via base hits and walks, cites Vernon's increased authority. "He's driving the ball like he never did last year. We kid him about finally getting one over the fence, but the ball is jumping off his bat this season, getting into the gaps."

With 12 doubles and 2 triples in his first 157 plate appearances, Vernon is well ahead of last year's pace. His .514 slugging percentage is well above anything he's posted previously. "I don't get hung up on stats," Vernon said when asked about his hot start. "Power's not my game, but I think I've gotten better at putting on muscle and keeping it over the course of a season. We'll see."

Manager Francisco Catazara hopes that the pressure Kazantziakis and Vernon put on teams at the top of the lineup eventually results in more runs being driven home. The team's middle of the lineup is underperforming its mild expectations. "Let's see Wags, C-Rod, and Whitten get hot," he said, referring to the currently room temperature Eric Wagner, Carlos Rodriguez, and Cam Whitten in the middle of the lineup.

That begs the question, of course, can Pikemen pitching hold opponents to fewer than 7 runs on occasion?
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2058.4: Thank God for Vernon

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:17 pm

I wouldn't wish 4-20 on Sacramento....well maybe I would.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”