Sticking Points 2058.2: Pikemen Lose 3 in Rule 5

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2058.2: Pikemen Lose 3 in Rule 5

Post by JimSlade » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:10 am

"Do we like losing prospects to Rule 5?" Rockville Pikemen GM Jim Slade asked rhetorically, "Of course not, but it's kind of an honor that anyone cares about our unprotected kids."

The Pikemen lost 3 prospects to the Rule 5 draft. The San Antonio Outlaws nabbed 2 Rockville prospects: RP Auina Isaaka and 3B Marzuq bin Gamali. Worm-killer Isaaka had a breakout season in his fourth season at Winston-Salem, Rockville's AA affiliate. Perhaps unfairly, the Pikemen saw him as an organizational depth piece. Gamali, who will turn 24 by the start of the 2058 season, will have a chance to leap from A ball to a role with the Outlaws. He's got some power potential and a good eye for a young player. Another member of the 2057 Eau Claire Cavaliers, SS Alberto Seanez, was plucked by the Mexico City Aztecs. The switch-hitting Seanez is a defensive marvel who should be ready for a utility role.

Slade is confident that the organization has the depth to withstand the loss of these prospects, but every inch of depth can matter for a team trying to crawl out of the basement.

"We wish Auina, Marzuq, and Alberto and their new teams nothing but the best, but Tim," Slade chuckled, referring to Outlaws GM Tim Meseck, "may want to ship me a case of tamales. Adelita's is my favorite spot when I'm down that way!"
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2058.2: Pikemen Lose 3 in Rule 5

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:29 am

Tamales are on the way, I have a Rick Bayless recipe I am working on, lol. Isaaka may get some bumps to really turn into something in a year or two. I needed a lefty so decided to carry him and see what he can do.

Gamali is more of a flyer to see what he can do platooning at 3B.

We'll treat them well.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2058.2: Pikemen Lose 3 in Rule 5

Post by JimSlade » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:38 am

I'm fairly obsessive about my minor league system, especially as it's my main area of hope. I felt like an idiot for having to think, "Who's that Isaaka guy?" when I saw you drafted him. I'd been taking him for granted!

I liked Gamali. I thought I could sneak him through by delaying a promotion to AA. I think young guys who can draw a walk have a fighting chance of withstanding that first year as a Rule 5 draftee.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”