Sticking Points 2058.1: Are We There Yet?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2058.1: Are We There Yet?

Post by JimSlade » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:46 pm

"Are we there yet?" asks 22-year-old middle infielder Richard Vernon following his sophomore season with the Pikemen, his first as an everyday major leaguer.

"Not yet," says manager Francisco Catazara. Vernon put up a .314 batting average, .365 OBP, and 1.9 WAR, playing acceptable second base and backup shortstop. Rockville fans and teammates took to the youngster's high-energy style of play. With veteran shortstop Socrates Kazantziakis entering an opt-out year, the organization can breathe easy about at least one half of its middle infield for years to come.

"Are we there yet?" asks 27-year-old pitcher Luis Gonzalez, entering a contract year following a return to the starting rotation after 4 years as a pointless closer for a basement-dwelling team.

"Not yet," says manager Francisco Catazara. It wasn't an elegant year in the rotation, but Gonzalez had enough moments to have fans feeling a ray of hope every sixth day. "I can't say this was my happiest season in Rockville," the pitcher said after the season, "but I'm happy to finally break into the rotation and help dictate the outcome of games."

Dabir "Awful" Nawfal, a talented 24-year-old in his second season in the bigs, gritted his teeth through 26 pedestrian starts. "We're high on Dabir," says his manager. "He's getting there."

"Are we there yet?" cry veteran pitchers Jon Keys and Richard Bryant in unison, from the rumble seat. Keys and Bryant suffered season-ending injuries before players could break a sweat in spring training. They can't wait for the start of the season and a chance to reap the rewards of their patient rehabilitation programs.

"We were counting on those guys," says first basemen Cam Whitten, who managed a slump-free season with 31 home runs and 101 RBI. Whitten is signed through 2059. "It was great getting to see Aaron Bridges up close in September. I'm looking forward to greeting our next wave of kids," said Whitten, noting the likes of AA prospects like slugging first baseman Masahiko Harada and pitcher Jorge Ramirez.

"Dammit, are we there yet?" says DH/catcher John McMuttray. "I was horse[bleep] last year. I know I've got more to give."

On a team strapped for power, the once-reliable fan favorite and 20-home run threat dipped to a measly 9 bombs in 2057. GM Jim Slade's extension through 2061 is looking like a poor investment, especially as first baseman and left fielder Manuel Salinas finally broke through midseason and exceeded McMuttray's output in a third of the games.

"Here we are gathered with our families for the Christmas holidays," says Catazara, "and I've got to be honest: spring training can't get here soon enough. Hell, there's a part of me that wishes I could turn the clock forward a few seasons to roll out. Things can't get much more challenging for these young men."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2058.1: Are We There Yet?

Post by RonCo » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:12 pm

The new team motto.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”