Sticking Points 2057.5: Julio's Next Pitch

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2057.5: Julio's Next Pitch

Post by JimSlade » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:40 am

The 2057 campaign for legendary Rockville outfielder Julio Barajas may be his final one, or at least his final year in a remarkable 20 years in the Pikemen organization. Neither the player nor the team is saying whether they know what the future holds.

"We're focusing on this season," says GM Jim Slade, when asked about the future of his team's keystone player, now reduced to a bench role. "We'll be ready to accommodate Julio's next steps when he is ready to talk them through."

"I became a man in Rockville. This town, this organization, these fans made me the man I am," says Barajas, hours before the Pikemen were to drop a 7-1 game against the Charlotte Flyers. "I gave up thinking about tomorrow long ago. I want to stay In the moment," he continues, gripping his ever-present 32-oz Adirondack bat, "and squeeze every last drop out of this baby."

Drafted as 17 year old from Santiago, Chile in 2038, Julio rocketed through farm system in 2 years, making his debut with the Pikemen in 2039 at age 18, for 78 games. The teenager put up insane numbers in that half season, starting with a .382/.422/.725 slash line. His rookie season was capped off by a Pikemen championship and his being awarded the first of 3 championship MVPs.

A 5-time All-Star, 4-time Silver Slugger, Awards, and regular top 10 finisher in an array of offensive statistical metrics, this current era of rebuilding Pikemen caught only the tail end of his Hall of Fame-worthy career. They see him as something more, something that can't be represented numerically.

"His professionalism," answers first baseman Cam Whitten, before I can complete my question. "Julio warms up, takes BP like a rookie trying to earn his spot. I saw that when I came up, in '52, and made note not to take anything for granted."

"It's all in the details," according to shortstop Socrates Kazantziakis. "He'll spot the slightest tip in a pitcher's warmup tosses and call me over from the on-deck circle."

"He makes me laugh," says rookie utiltyman Sergio Rodriguez. "I'm sitting on the bench most games, the least likely guy with a spot on the team, and I've got a freaking legend on my left, not moping, not spacing out, but zeroed in on every pitch, talking [stuff] about us and our opponents nonstop."

Starter Danny Leach has spent 15 seasons as a teammate of Julio's, over 2 stints with the team. He had to compose himself for a few seconds before saying, "wow, he's the man. I've had lots great teammates, but never one so tuned into the needs of his team. We've been through good times and bad times, but he is aways there for the present moment."

"Some of my friends wondered why I extended here in Rockville, knowing we were facing a rebuild," says Barajas of his 2052 deal. "Even my wife said, 'Are you sure you're up for this?' I was. This is my home. This is part of my legacy. It's been fun watching the kids pick up their game the last few weeks. I'm excited for the next pitch."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”