Stepping Out of Character: Rock Is Dead (or Some Thoughts on the Forum vs Discord)

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Stepping Out of Character: Rock Is Dead (or Some Thoughts on the Forum vs Discord)

Post by JimSlade » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:44 pm

In part to see if I can stir some chatter on the forum for once and in part to be a wiseacre, I was typing up these thoughts on Discord, when I sincerely thought this may be better expressed here, where I feel a little more disconnected.

I used to moderate a passionate music blog with a large readership and high, passionate degree of engagement. It was amazing. It felt like the perfect vehicle to do our thing. Then Facebook and other quick-hit texting/chat platforms came around and blogs and forums went out of fashion. Hell, even good-old email typed on a qwerty keyboard is seen as a dying Boomer practice. I miss all that stuff.

Things change. Communication platforms change. Because of my blogging experience, I probably have some idea of how the old heads who date back to the most vital times of the BBA forum must feel, but I hope it's not some all-or-nothing choice we need to make.

I am not the most active forum participant. I read a good deal and especially appreciate the statistical analyses. Even in real life, I'm not an analytical/metrics fan, but I marvel at people who can articulate the game through those means.i love playing the game, so anything I can learn is golden.

I love the poetry, or what I call the time travel, of the game, from real baseball to Strat-o-Matic to OOTP. I'm only a few seasons into my BBA career, so I'm still trying to imagine who my guys are. Just because I don't write enough TNs doesn't mean I don't care about my players and what I project is going on. I hope to keep expanding my experience of the league.

In terms of my real-life baseball development, I'm like my 11-year-old self in Brewster. You know what I mean? I am at the point here in this league where I'm still puzzled by the infield fly rule and don't really know what makes Steve Carlton's slider different from Dick Ruthven's curveball. (Phillies starters from my youth.) I can't quite articulate why I prefer Ted Simmons to Johnny Bench. Give me a few more seasons and I should be more articulate about our league.

Sorry, I'm doing some unnecessary time traveling.

I wish I didn't have to feel like I should be motivated by PPT. I'm not. don't pay much attention to what I could be buying with my PPT. And I don't do the PPT for skills conversion thing because I think it's cheating, like what my gamer son called mods. I call them gamer steroids. [Ducking.]

I guess my underlying point is, Don't assume that participation is going down the tubes because we don't we don't all participate the way more people here used to. I would like to feel more engaged, but the forum doesn't not yet seem to be the place where I can engage the way I want to. I hope I simply get better at engaging, in whatever way. You - we - have a good thing going here. At the risk of sounding like Sting in the middle of 6-hour tantric sex, you can't squeeze a puddle of water.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Stepping Put of Character: Roxk Is Dead (or Some Thoughts on the Forum vs Discord)

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:47 pm

You lost me at Ted Simmons over Johnny Bench. Heretic!
ImageImageImageImageImage

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Stepping Out of Character: Rock Is Dead (or Some Thoughts on the Forum vs Discord)

Post by BaseClogger » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:50 pm

This wasn’t musicbanter.com by any chance was it?
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: Stepping Put of Character: Roxk Is Dead (or Some Thoughts on the Forum vs Discord)

Post by JimSlade » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:52 pm

Jwalk100 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:47 pm
You lost me at Ted Simmons over Johnny Bench. Heretic!
Don't get me wrong: Bench was way better. I simply Liles Simmons better because I thought he was cooler:a switch-hitting catcher, a doubles machine, a bit of a hippie...
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: Stepping Out of Character: Rock Is Dead (or Some Thoughts on the Forum vs Discord)

Post by JimSlade » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:08 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:50 pm
This wasn’t musicbanter.com by any chance was it?
No, it was Rock Town Hall. We have left the site up, even though it pretty much dried up after Facebook and Twitter started taking hold. We had a bried revival that broke out during the darkest days of COVID.

If you want to lose 6 minutes and 30 seconds of ypu life, here's our sizzles reel, from when my partner in crime and I thought we might be able to monetize our labor of love. (We didn't.)
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:25 pm

Well said. I don’t think PP have that large of an effect of the game, but it’s fun. You can create nicknames or pay for stadium upgrades. Using it for cash is helpful for struggling teams. But creating content just for PP probably won’t yield great content. The good content is usually done for the love of the game and would be done whether or not it was rewarded.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

RT60
BBA GM

Post by RT60 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:28 am

This post should get extra PP even though you likely won't use them!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”