Sticking Points 2055.4: Niles Bets on Himself

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2055.4: Niles Bets on Himself

Post by JimSlade » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:25 am

Rather than sit on the IL with a torn labrum for half of the upcoming season and collect the $2.4 million he had coming to him, Rockville Pikemen second baseman Logan Niles has opted out of his contract and will enter free agency.

"I enjoyed my season with the Pikemen and the Rockville fans," said Niles, in a tweet following his decision, "but I think I've shown the league that I've got a lot left to offer. It's time I bet on myself."

I'm not a gambling man, but it's hard to imagine what the payoff will be for this risky decision. The 32-year-old Niles gave the Pikemen what they hoped for with last season's low-risk signing: leadership, 24 HR, solid defense at second, and the ability to sub in a shortstop now and then. Still, that led to a 0.7 WAR and another season locked out of the postseason for Rockville.

"We were looking forward to a healthy half season of Logan in the coming season," said manager Denny Dooley. "Just having him around the clubhouse to mentor our younger players would have had value."

The Pikemen organization is deep in middle infielders. Former first-round pick Ruben Alvarado, who took his lumps as a rookie utility man, may be counted on to to take over. Perhaps Travis Harrell, who had a strong September showing, grabs the job. Another recent first-round pick, shortstop Richard Vernon, has risen to AAA at 20 years old. Perhaps he finds his way to the bigs by midseason.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2055.4: Niles Bets on Himself

Post by Trebro » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:50 pm

That is a bizarre decision. No one is going to sign him right now and spend dead cap space and mod season he's going to get next to nothing because he'll have the injury questions.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”