Sticking Points 2055.2: It's Time

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2055.2: It's Time

Post by JimSlade » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:45 pm

With the 2055 season set to kick off, the Pikemen announced their opening day roster. As they've done in recent years, the team will be carrying 13 pitchers and 14 hitters. A few players will be opening the season in the bigs for the first time, including rookie infielder Reuben Alvarado, the team's first-round pick in 2053. "I've been dreaming of this day for as long as I can remember," said the rookie, who's expected to back up at second, short, and third.

Late-addition Stewart Illingworth, who signed a 1-year deal in the final days of spring training, is well-accustomed to easing into new clubhouses. "I've been living year-to-year since I hit 30," said the veteran outfielder, who's about to begin his fifth consecutive 1-year deal. "You play long enough, it starts to feel like the whole league is one extended team."

Signing right on the heels of the acquisition and extension of corner outfielder Eric Wagner, Illingworth isn't sure exactly what his role will be. "With Wags and Julio [Barajas] at the corners and 'Doghouse' [John McMuttray] getting ABs at DH, I'll be ready to slot in wherever I'm needed."

As Denny Dooley's squad did in the back half of 2054, the team will carry 3 catchers. Steve Burton, who came up and caddied for Garm Guldenmond while McMuttray primarily played DH, gets the call again this year. "He's still finding his way," said Dooley, before the team broke camp, "but the pitchers love him. They sure as hell don't love me."

Word is that the Pikemen will surprise fans with a conventional 5-man rotation. This after murmurings that the team would run out a 4-man rotation on a short leash, making every game a bullpen game. "We've still got that idea in our back pocket," Dooley chuckled, "but first, we want to give Jon Keys the chance to nail down the 5th spot."

Keys had 6 starts with the Pikemen at the end of last season, not performing like a guy ready to nail down a rotations spot. "It's time, man," said Keys, after his last spring training start, a scoreless 5 innings against the Rocky Mountain Oysters. "I'm out of options. Dodge City was great to me, but it's time I settle into Rockville."

Going into camp, corner infielders Cesar Rodriguez and Richard Wright were under the microscope. Both showed promise in 2053, but struggled last year. Their spring training performances didn't instill confidence, so they are back in Dodge City, hoping to regain their stroke. "We expect to see them back in Rockvile before this season is over," Dooley explained. "Cam Whitten can move over to first, and Numan [Abu al Khayr] will finally get a chance to show what he can do."

"I was swinging good this spring," said Abu al Khayr, who hit .333 in limited playing time. "Beside, I'm out of options. It's time."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

neugey
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2055.2: It's Time

Post by neugey » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:03 am

JimSlade wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:45 pm
the team will be carrying 13 pitchers and 14 pitchers.
That's a bold strategy! :)

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2055.2: It's Time

Post by JimSlade » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:42 am

neugey wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:03 am
JimSlade wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:45 pm
the team will be carrying 13 pitchers and 14 pitchers.
That's a bold strategy! :)
Ha! Although I'm an editir in real life, the Pikemen do not employ one. Must fix that!
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”