Sticking Points 2055.1: The Philosopher Thinks Things Over

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2055.1: The Philosopher Thinks Things Over

Post by JimSlade » Tue May 23, 2023 10:19 am

The Rockville Pikemen organization and its fans held their collective breath when the offseason began. Four veterans had player opt-outs to decide on: shortstop Socrates Kazantziakis, outfielder Bronx Cortez, starting pitcher Nathaniel Davis, and reliever Jerry Manuel. Both members from within the organization and fans may have been split on how they hoped Cortez, Davis, and Manuel would decide, but all were hoping against hope that the team's prime-time shortstop would stay put.

Davis executed the final year of his deal, for $12.8M. "We are thrilled to have Nathaniel Davis back for the 2055 campaign," said the team in a press release, "and expect to see if we can extend him through the end of his career."

Cortez and Manuel opted out. The reliever remains on the free-agent market, but the slugging Cortez signed with the Atlantic City Gamblers. "We made an effort to bring back Bronx," said GM Jim Slade, "but it was not to be. We wish him nothing but the best, and I'll take this opportunity to laugh, one final time, at the critics who doubted the wisdom of our bringing Cortez to Rockville in the first place." Slade was referring to a fellow GM's lone "Cortez...WTF?" post on Twitter following news of the team's 2053 signing.

Kazantziakis also opted out. Following his performance and what turned out to be a team-friendly deal after his first 2 seasons in the BBA, no one in the organization was surprised, but an action plan was ready to launch.

"At the trade deadline," explained Slade, "a couple of teams made a play for Socrates, seeing him as a stretch-drive rental. We expected to have a lot of money coming off the books and figured we'd throw it at The Philosopher if he opted out. You know, give him something to think about."

Sure enough, Rockville set the market high out of the gates. Early into the offseason, Kazantziakis re-upped for 6 years and $144M, including another player opt-out clause after Year 4. "If he wants to opt-out again," chuckled Slade, "that means we haven't put a team around him."

In a statement released after re-signing with the team, Kazantziakis said, "I'm thankful for the Pikeman reconsidering my value after making the leap from the GBC. The Rockville fans have been fantastic, and I'm happy to call this my home."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2055.1: The Philosopher Thinks Things Over

Post by BaseClogger » Tue May 23, 2023 12:02 pm

Cortez has been remarkably consistent the past three seasons.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”