Sticking Points 2054.5: Julio Joins the 3000 Club!

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2054.5: Julio Joins the 3000 Club!

Post by JimSlade » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:36 pm

Lost in the slow, pedestrian descent to the bottom of the Johnson League Atlantic Division was outfielder Julio Barajas' entry to the 3000 hit club. Barajas lined a 1-2 pitch off Charm City Jimmies' lefthander Hector Silva in the top of the third on August 17. "To be honest," Barajas said when asked what stood out about the hit, "I wish I had hit the ball a little softer and given Socrates a better chance to score." (Shortstop Socrates Kazantziakis was thrown out at the plate on the hit.)

With 13 hits and counting since #3000, Barajas is now 25th on the all-time list, with a chance to pass Cisco Guerrero and possibly even active Yellow Spring Nine 2B Dong-Po Thum before this season ends. "Thum is still going strong," Barajas chuckled, when asked about his chance of passing him. "Luckily, I'm a little younger and should be able to outplay that bastard."

Barajas has played his entire career with the Pikemen, coming up as an 18 year old in 2039. He's been one of the league's most consistent players, amassing 444 HR and a .331/.385/.556 slash line. He confirmed rumors that the team tried to shop him at the trade deadline. "I love Rockville. I love our fans. I would prefer to end my career here, but I gave the team permission to shop me for the good of the organization, provided I could land with a contender."

General Manager Jim Slade never talks specifics about trade rumors, but he felt free to talk about this one. "Not a sniff from other teams! That's not a comment on Julio," Slade added, "but the risk-averse, cap-strapped nature of the league."

As the 2054 season winds down, Barajas will be able to get an early start on his community activities and his golf game. "To be honest, I hope there's a way we can rebuild this thing. I've got a few good years to give. I'd rather wait until November to get on with my personal life."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2054.5: Julio Joins the 3000 Club!

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:01 pm

Fun fact: Barajas is eighth from the legendary 2038 draft in WAR (and my only first round pick that year). He's seventh all time in batting average among players with more than 8000 PA and fourteenth in OPS. He's probably the best ever player to never win a Sawyer Silk, though he did finish second once.

Also a fun Rockville fact: other than Alaric, there's only one other pitcher to win a Steve Nebraska or have more than 50 WAR at this point from that draft. That player is Danny Leach, who was drafted in Round 10.

So you really never know.

Top five from that draft: Felix Roman, Juan Rivera, Aaron Haney, Alaric, and Manobu (average career WAR 95).
Last edited by aaronweiner on Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:03 pm

That is some cool info, Aaron. Thanks!
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Jess64
GBC GM

Post by Jess64 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:45 pm

Nice write-up for sure. Love to see how those past draft picks have panned out
GM Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers: Aug 2054 - Present

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”