Sticking Points 2053.1: Something's Happening Here

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2053.1: Something's Happening Here

Post by JimSlade » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:17 pm

"Something's happening here/What it is ain't exactly clear," sang Stephen Stills in Buffalo Springfield's 85-year-old song "For What It's Worth." For what it's worth, something's happening in Rockville, as the Pikemen find themselves in 3rd place with a +16 run differential as they reach the end of the first fifth of the 2053 season. Whatever's happening in Rockville isn't loaded with the doom and gloom felt by many offseason prognosticators.

"It's been a full-team effort," says Manager Denny Dooley, "the boys go all 9 innings, every night. Sometimes more."

Dooley is referring to the team's recent spate of extra-innings victories. They are 4-2, so far, in games that keep the kids up well past bedtime.

"Look at the work our bullpen has been doing," says veteran starter Jafar Haamid, who has been as up and down as the rest of the starting pitchers, as he works his way back from an injury-plagued 2052. "I did all I could to get through 6 innings the other night. The pen came in and settled things down until our offense could come back and win it."

The bullpen, led by a resurgent Jerry Manuel, Richard Bryant, and young Luis Gonzalez, has been among the best in the BBA. The team's offense, on the other hand, has been nothing to write home about, but they have shown the ability to bust out at opportune moments. Controversial free-agent signing Bronx Cortez is a good example: he's batting only .205 with an equally unimpressive .280 OBP, but he's socked 9 home runs, which shares the team lead with rookie Cesar Hernandez, who's been coming off the bench to spell veterans at 3B, 1B, and DH.

Another rookie, at least in BBA terms, who's been making a difference is shortstop Socrates Kazantziakis, who is quickly becoming a fan favorite with his high OPB, speed, and all-around philosophical approach to the game. "Chip who?" a boy was heard recently saying, in response to his father's flattering comparison of Kazantziakis to the team's legendary former shortstop and leadoff man Chip Puckett.

Julio Barajas, one of the team's elder statesman, feels refreshed by the lineup's influx of youth and versatility. "I look around at guys like Socrates, Cesar [Rodriguez], [Daryl] Tibbett, and Cam Whitten - not to mention The Fonz and Richard Wright, who can play multiple positions - and my head spins. I can't tell guys by their positions anymore. I just call them all 'Dude.'"

The other impressive thing about the Pikemen's hot start is that much of it has come on the road, where the team is 15-12. "We're midway through May and we've only played 7 home games," says staff ace Nathaniel Davis. "Let's see what some home cooking does for us."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2053.1: Something's Happening Here

Post by tylertoo » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:27 pm

Can't believe that song is already 85 years old.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:06 pm

Happy to see Cortez finding success. That .217 BABIP should trend up towards his career avg of .294.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:26 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:06 pm
Happy to see Cortez finding success. That .217 BABIP should trend up towards his career avg of .294.
Maybe, maybe not, but I'm going to play up any little bit of success he has this season to show the haters what's what.

Joking about the haters term! I understood any skepticism around his signing. If we can finish .500 this season, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:58 pm

Must be nice to have rookie hitters to call up! You'll see what I mean when I get to my farm reports...
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”