Sticking Points 2052.7: Legends Leaving Rockville

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2052.7: Legends Leaving Rockville

Post by JimSlade » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:00 am

Chip Puckett and Matthew Reilly, two stalwarts of the Pikeman franchise, will next be going back to Rockville as visiting players. In a move that was expected but no less difficult for the Pikemen organization, the team announced that it had declined the team option on longtime shortstop and leadoff hitter Chip Puckett. In a move that was possibly equally expected, owing to the team's recent struggles, DH Matthew Reilly opted out of his contract and is now a free agent.

"The loss of such talented team leads will be felt for years to come," said GM Jim Slade. "Chip and Matthew are legends in the Rockville community. A generation of baseball fans has grown up and shown up at our park, expecting to see them in the starting lineup. We wish them the best moving forward."

Puckett came out of Melbourne, Australia and signed with the Pikemen, after being drafted 4th overall in 2033. He raced up the minor leagues and debuted with Rockville at the age of 18, in 2034. He quickly established himself as a top-flight table-setter, with an OBP near .400 and swiping 60 bases per year. Midway through 2039, he was dealt to the Calgary Pioneers, but he returned to Rockville in 2047 and resumed his place atop the team's lineup.

During the years when Puckett first left Rockville, punishing line-drive hitter Reilly was getting established. Reilly was the team's top pick in 2039 draft, and over his 11 years with the club he posted a .305/.340/.504 slash line. Prior to a slightly off year in 2052, Reilly led the league in hitting in 2051, with a .364 batting average.

There are some forces within the Rockville organization, not to mention the fans, who are rumored to be pushing for keeping an open line of communications with Reilly. "We won't rule anything out," said Slade, when asked for comment.

In other new around options and player opt-outs, the team decided to pick up the option on pitcher Jafar Haamid, who missed most of last season with a torn flexor tendon. Faced with the choice of seeing what Haamid had left in the tank for $4 million vs paying him a buyout of $3.5 million, the team decided to roll the dice. "A healthy Haamid will help our team in 2053," said manager Denny Dooley, when reached for comment. Dooley, who's been known to rub pitchers the wrong way, added "Jafar's used to me."

In what may be the most surprising news of the young offseason, Juan Manual and Felipe Mendez, two pitchers who were rumored to have butted heads with Dooley throughout the 2052 decided to opt-in for another years in Rockville. Reliever Manual went from being a cornerstone of the Pikemen bullpen to a fire hazard. "The losing wore on me," Manual said as he packed his locker at the end of the season, "but I'll get some perspective."

Young starting pitcher Mendez was not so philosophical when packing his locker at the season's end. "I've got nothing for you," he told reporters, "I just want to hug my agent."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2052.7: Legends Leaving Rockville

Post by bschr682 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:44 am

Go sign Pepper!
GM Vancouver Mounties

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Wish I had a spot to play Reilly. He can be a great #5 hitter/RBI guy.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:51 pm

I wish I could have held onto Pepper in the first place, but I was trying to figure out how to get into better cap space. I'm going to miss Puckett and Reilly, too, especially, Reilly. He's my kind of hitter. Oh well, I need to stay committed to finding out what I can do in this league if I'm not constantly up against the cap.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 pm

Free Agency is going to be crazy!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”