Sticking Points 2052.6: Entering a Winter of Discontent

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2052.6: Entering a Winter of Discontent

Post by JimSlade » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 pm

As the 2052 is in full gear, we caught up with fans of the rebuilding Rockville Pikemen at the regular Thursday Night Sports Quizzo, held at Shipbottom's Inn, the longtime Rockville drinking establishment. As you might imagine, reactions to the team's depressing 2052 and the long road ahead ranged from incensed to unconvinced.

"I've been a Pikemen fan since back in the day." said Nate Bologna, a regional manager for Amazon's teleportation services. "What's this franchise going to mean to me if they don't let Puckett retire a Pikeman and if Reilly opts out," referring to the team's veteran shortstop Chip Puckett, who's facing a team option, and DH Matthew Reilly.

"As hard as it is to feel bad for a guy making almost $17 million a year," said personal brand manager Alexis Scrabble. "I feel bad for Julio Barajas. Before Slade decided to break things up, he cajoled Julio into signing a long-term deal. Now, he's got another year of this trash before he can opt out."

You've got to give it to Rockville fans for being knowledgeable about their team. Scrabble continued to criticize GM Jim Slade, "But of course, Slade threw so much money at Barajas that he'll probably go along for the ride and eat up precious salary space."

Virtual fitness instructor Luther Martinez took a more philosophical view on things: "We needed an infusion of affordable youth. I was down with the McMuttray deal last year. He looks like he belongs. The young pitchers they've rushed up...we'll see. Luis Gomez showed some promise in the middle of the season, then hit a wall."

Toni Jones, an identity consultant from Bethesda, drained her IPA, burped, ordered another round, and said, "I don't know why I keep following this team."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”