Sticking Points 2051.5: Batter Up!

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2051.5: Batter Up!

Post by JimSlade » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:12 am

The revamping Rockville Pikemen opened the 2041 season with a split versus the Montreal Blazers, and then took the first 2 out of 4 games from the San Antonio Outlaws. "I'm seeing some good things," said manager Denny Dooley, "but I'm expecting even better as this team finds its personality."

Newcomers like Angel Gonzalez, John McMuttray, and Xavier Rangel got off and running. Starting pitcher Felipe Mendez, a late-spring training signing out of the GBC, delivered a quality start before the ink dried on his contract. The most electrifying performance to start the season, however, was Nasir al Din bin Sahir's 8.1-inning, 3-hit, 1-run gem in the second game of the year. Dooley made a point to slap the rookie on the rump when he lifted him from the game.

The strengths that marked the 2041 Pikemen are once more in evidence: players up and down the lineup breaking out with multi-hit games, strong bullpen work, and yeoman efforts by the starting pitchers to keep the game in hand for that bullpen. Shaky defense, another hallmark of the 2040 squad, also raised its ugly glove. McMuttray's passed ball and error in the first 2 games of the season had fans flashing back to last year's defensive woes behind the plate. The young catcher chalked it up to opening-day jitters. "My folks drove up from South Carolina," said McMuttray. "I've heard Pikemen fans can be hard on us - in a good way - but, man, you've never played with my dad in the stands."

Following today's game against San Antonio, the Pikemen's 9-day, season-opening road trip concludes with 4 against the El Paso Chilis. Home cooking awaits.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”