Sticking Points 2051.4: Dooley Seeing Single

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

JimSlade
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2051.4: Dooley Seeing Single

Post by JimSlade » Tue May 24, 2022 8:42 pm

Pikeman manager Denny Dooley is seeing single, and that's OK by him. The veteran manager recently underwent his first cataract surgery, and he feels like he's got a new lease on life.

"To be honest," said Dooley, over a Bailey's Irish coffee and poached eggs, "I was relying on the reactions of the players on balls hit to the gaps. My eyes were going downhill faster than a 34-year-old leftfielder who's been busted for steroids."

Despite squinting and guessing at the play on the field for much of 2050, it wasn't until the Dooley and his wife drove home to their summer home in Taos, New Mexico that he realized he was due for a trip to his eye doctor. "I kept complaining to my wife that the highway signs were dirty," he recounted. "After 4 states' worth of my complaining, she asked me when I last had my eyes checked."

Dooley's declining eyesight wasn't a secret to his coaches. Bench coach Jon Hudder made a habit of cueing the skipper on approaching players. "Guys as familiar as Reilly or Puckett would be 15 feet away and I could tell Dools had no idea who they were."

"It's true," confirmed Dooley, "and with all the new guys joining the team this year, I better get to know them!"

Speaking of new Pikemen, Matt McCartney, come on down! The team's interest in the lefthanded starting pitcher went back to last season's trade deadline. For McCartney and 2 other young pitchers, the team had to give up AAA closer Augusto Ayala, he of the tantalizing movement.

"We were looking forward to seeing Augusto in Rockville, maybe later this year," explained Dooley, "but we needed a lefthanded starter and Macca's a guy we've had our eye on for some time."
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”