Sticking Points 2049.4: Daniel Pepper Finishes Runner-Up In Sawyer Silk

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2049.4: Daniel Pepper Finishes Runner-Up In Sawyer Silk

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:13 am

For those statheads who thought that Daniel Pepper was a shoo-in for the Sawyer Silk Award last year, well, don't just stand there, Bustamente. As in Pedro Bustamente, who knocked out Pepper in one of the closest votes in BBA history. No other player garnered a first place vote, not even a Phoenix player, and only four second place votes went astray, but Bustamente was just a little ahead of Pepper when the dust cleared.

"I'm personally more disappointed we didn't get to the Brewster, but I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get the hardware, yeah," said Pepper. "I know in my heart I was the best player in the BBA last year."

Pepper's season was historical for sure if you measure by WAR. By that metric, it was the fifth best season by a second baseman in BBA history, second in the non Cricket Puckett category. It was the 34th highest total of all time and the largest WAR score in fifteen seasons. The only years where a person above Pepper on the leaderboard DIDN'T win the Sawyer Silk were 2005 and 2031, where two players in the same league did it (Jared Gillstrom and Puckett would win those years).

"It's not just his offense that was incredible," said Rockville manager Denny Dooley. "He was the best defensive second baseman in the league by a mile. We're all kind of outraged he didn't get the award."

Bustamente did have an outstanding season, however. His 1.107 OPS was the 20th highest mark in league history and he did it in a year where offense was way down. And he did it for a San Antonio team that finished 10th in offense and ten games below .500, so he was on an island. Pepper, on the other hand, was the leader of the best offense in the JL and finished high on the leaderboard everywhere he could be expected to qualify, and showed fire and bravado in talking about the Sawyer Wilk..

"Listen, I'm still one of only a handful of players in the history of the league to have a season that rounds up to ten WAR," said Pepper. "My name's on the leaderboards now. I'm just 27 years old, and I'm hoping to have a lot of spots on those leaderboards. This isn't the last you'll hear from me."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”