Sticking Points 2049.1: Rockville Bats Suffer Power Outage, Ends Season In Cartwright

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2049.1: Rockville Bats Suffer Power Outage, Ends Season In Cartwright

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:14 pm

The series against Las Vegas didn't go the distance this time, as it did in 2047. And while Rockville can take some solace in the fact that none of the games were what anyone would call a blowout, their top-ranked offense managed just 13 runs in five games against the Hustlers' #1 ranked pitching staff. The scores were close, but Vegas controlled the tempo, and it leaves it to a question as to what it might take for Rockville to make it to the next level.

"Well, we could start by hitting the damn baseball," said Daniel Pepper, who ended his historical season with just three hits in eighteen at bats in the Cartwright. "That would have been a helluva place to start."

However, there were some more places where Rockville has to be concerned. Rookie closer Edward Johnson, who was outstanding during the regular season, blew Game 1 by loading up the bases, then giving up a bases-clearing double. Johnson is considered one of the rising stars for Rockville.

"Yes, I think my inexperience played into this somewhat," said Johnson, who would come back to pitch two more scoreless innings in the series. "I'll be better prepared next time."

After the Game 1 heartbreaker, Rockville managed just 19 hits in their next three losses, and even in their single win, a 3-1 victory in Game 3 behind a gem by Jafar Haamid, Rockville's bats were obviously broken.

"Listen, we kept every game close against what might be the best team in the BBA despite our offense not working," said manager Denny Dooley. "Obviously, I'm heartbroken that we didn't win this series, but this is the sort of thing where we can build on it as a team and come back next year even better."

Rockville does face some tough decisions this offseason, and it's possible some key contributors might not be back. At a minimum, Rockville has already cut some of their depth players from the 40 man roster, and it appears they are likely to decline arbitration on many of their rising arbitration cases this year.

"As always, we'll do whatever it takes to win," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "I just wish I knew exactly what that was."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”