Sticking Points 2048.3: Rockville Signs Jafar Haamid

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2048.3: Rockville Signs Jafar Haamid

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:38 am

Rockville dealt five prospects for former #1 overall pick Gerald Sizemore earlier this offseason, a move widely touted by critics as a good gamble.
Continuing their 2048 pitcher reclamation project, Rockville signed Valencia righty Jafar Haamid to a six-year deal worth a guaranteed $23.5 million.

"We love Jafar's arm and his his ability to strike out batters, and we think our infield defense is enough to help him find his way," said Rockvillle GM Aaron Weiner. "He's excited to be here and we're excited to have him."

Haamid, the only player in the BBA from Cote D'Ivoire, was the de facto ace for the Valencia Stars in 2043 and 2044 and struck out a total of 412 batters over those two years. He also led the league in innings pitched in 2044, his best season, where he went 11-14 with a 4.22 ERA and 223 strikeouts. Haamid is still considered by scouts to be potentially among the more talented arms in the BBA, and had a resurgence of sorts last year with the Seattle Storm.

"I've never been on a team like this," said Haamid. "I think the most games Valencia won while I was there was 68 and Seattle won 67 last year so I've never been given a chance on a winning team in a situation with a good defense. I'm excited to see what I can do."

While Rockville has been a playoff team, neither Haamid nor Sizemore is expected to lead the staff. That's Danny Leach's job. And the guys they're replacing in the rotation, players like Dwight Dunn and Esteban Cruz, are very replaceable; the pressure to perform isn't as great as it would be on a team with better pitching.

"Rockville was ninth in the league in ERA with the 'Blue Chips,' a bunch of guys with no pedigree and who didn't really perform all that well," said a Johnson League scout. "I'm very intrigued to see what they can do with guys like Haamid and Sizemore and Puckett/Pepper/Po-sin up the middle. Those guys can strike guys out and if their players can catch the ball the Pikemen rotation should be improved."

With these moves, the Pikemen are probably done for the offseason. Haamid fit under the Rockville salary structure for the next three years, and while his contract puts a little more crunch on the team in 2051 than already exists, it's a small enough deal that if Rockville has to get out from it they can. For now, they're excited to have Haamid coming to town.

"We're really looking forward to having Jafar pitch for us," said manager Denny Dooley. "He's just got so many weapons and like me in the UMEBA, he just needs a shot."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”