Sticking Points 2047.12: Rockville Surging Before Ending Season With 13-Game Homestand

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2047.12: Rockville Surging Before Ending Season With 13-Game Homestand

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pm

The Rockville Pikemen had hoped among hope that they would be able to use their September schedule to springboard them into the playoffs. They just didn't expect it to happen quite so quickly. Rockville has gone 10-3 in the month of September to grab a three and a half game lead over Phoenix for the last playoff spot. Even better, after one more game in Jacksonville, the Pikemen will not have to leave the friendly confines of Owen's Ordinary until the first round of the playoffs, where they are 43-25 this season.

"They gave us a strange schedule with a lot of early road games, but I guess that's what happens when they're trying to mess with your head," said Rockville catcher Francisco Flores, whose .385 home batting average leads the team. "We've had a real home-field advantage so far and hopefully that will help us keep our playoff spot."

The Pikemen have gone 35-26 (.573) after the All-Star Break, and have gotten some help from some unlikely heroes. Augusto Moran, acquired around the break, has been almost as good after Rockville acquired him as he was with Atlantic City. This year's first round pick, Pablo Lara, is hitting .375 in September with a 1.042 OPS and looks like he might be yet another Rockville phenom. And Matthew Reilly, much maligned before the break, has hit at least .326 in every month since July.

"I really hope we make the playoffs," said Moran, who up until this year has only played for the Gamblers. "I haven't pitched in the playoffs since I was 23, and we almost made it to the Cartwright Cup, so I hope I can be really good for Rockville in the playoffs."

Rockville's plans to re-invent themselves this year have largely worked, as the Pikemen are on pace to allow over 100 less runs this season than last year due to their vastly improved defense. Their offense has fallen off a bit, but the Pikemen are still in the upper echelon of the Johnson League offensively this season. The Pikemen, currently three games back of Jacksonville and Charlotte, still even have a chance at the division title and a first round bye, though their chances aren't huge.

"Our analysts tell us we have a 5% chance of winning the division," manager Denny Dooley laughed. "But they're also telling us that we have a 60% chance to make the playoffs, and that's without factoring in the fact that we get every game at home. If Jacksonville keeps falling, maybe that series at the end of the year against Charlotte is going to mean something."

The Pikemen are currently 83-65, tied for either second, third, or fourth place with New Orleans (depending on how you value it) in the JL Atlantic. If they make the playoffs, it will be their fourteenth straight playoff appearance, within one of the 2020-2034 Las Vegas Hustlers' all time record (though Rockville's will likely get an asterisk because there are more playoff teams now). Seven more wins will give them 14 straight 90 win seasons as well, which extends their own all-time record.

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2047.12: Rockville Surging Before Ending Season With 13-Game Homestand

Post by scottsdale_joe » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:41 pm

Quite a record.
Congrats on it.
:hi5:
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2047.12: Rockville Surging Before Ending Season With 13-Game Homestand

Post by GoldenOne » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm

aaronweiner wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pm

"Our analysts tell us we have a 5% chance of winning the division," manager Denny Dooley laughed. "But they're also telling us that we have a 60% chance to make the playoffs, and that's without factoring in the fact that we get every game at home. If Jacksonville keeps falling, maybe that series at the end of the year against Charlotte is going to mean something."
That series definitely is in bold on the Cougars schedule!! Definitely wishing we could play in Charlotte though. We've struggled against Rockville this season but its been split a little more evenly since we finished that series in June.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:28 pm

It would be funny if I turned into Charlotte's jinx team.

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:43 pm

aaronweiner wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:28 pm
It would be funny if I turned into Charlotte's jinx team.
No, no it wouldnt.

Also, CCJ isnt an easy win for the Pikemen so dont overlook them.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 am

The yearly Rockville playoff push. The Pikemen hang close then make their move late.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”