Sticking Points 2047.11: Pablo Lara, Rockville First Rounder, Called Up

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2047.11: Pablo Lara, Rockville First Rounder, Called Up

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Pablo Lara was born ready. The first rounder was sailing through the minors, and when Matthew Reilly found himself on the DL with a sprained thumb, the minor league outfielder was declared ready, called up from AA Winston-Salem to try and stabilize the big club.

"When I was drafted, the organization said I'd be starting by May of next year," said Lara. "Well, I think they kept their word."

Lara, Rockville's first pick at #31 overall, was putting up solid numbers in the minors this year despite playing out of position at center field. Between two levels, Lara was hitting .276 with 10 homers, 29 walks, and 10 stolen bases in 64 minor league games and 250 at bats. Rockville is hoping that he can maintain that level of play in the major leagues.

"Pablo will be platooning with Gilberto Falchonelli, at least for this year," said Rockville manager Denny Dooley. "If Gilberto leaves in free agency he'll be given every chance to win the everyday job in left field."

Lara, a top defensive outfielder in college, finished third in the Bo Jordan voting last season and has generated a lot of excitement in the Rockville organization. The Pikemen have a long tradition of rookie phenoms, including current Pikemen Francisco Flores, Chip Puckett, and Julio Barajas, among others.

"This will probably cost me my chance to win the Joe Gillstrom, but I'll gladly pass that up to get my chance in the major leagues," said Lara. "I can't wait to get out there."

Rockville is currently 71-58, in fourth place in the JL Atlantic Division and in a three-way tie for a JL wild card.

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”