Sticking Points 2047.9: Rockville Drafts Future Starter

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2047.9: Rockville Drafts Future Starter

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Rockville has had an interesting time of it in left field over the last couple years. For a while, they were playing the all offense/no glove Wilson Alomar there. This year, they shifted last year's Opening Day centerfielder, Gilberto Falchonelli, to the corner and brought in Po-sin Shi. That move has worked well so far, but Falchonelli is a free agent this year and will command more money and years than Rockville can offer. There were rumors that Matthew Reilly might be moved to left field, his primary position, but Reilly is even worse in left field than Alomar was.

So the Pikemen went into the 2047 draft looking for an outfielder, and they got their man in the first round: Cubano Pablo Lara of the Havana Hurricanes, a three-time winner of the Pascal Verhoeve Glove Award and the third-place finisher last year last year in Bo Jordan voting.

"We are absolutely thrilled to have Lara join us," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "He was the guy we were targeting in the draft all along."

Lara has some issues: scouts say he has holes against lefthanded pitching, and reportedly it takes him a while to warm up to people. But the 22 year old is 6' 2", 180, looks good in a baseball uniform, runs like the wind, and was one of the best players in the draft against righthanded hurlers.

"Better relations with America makes it easy for me to come over and try to make it big in the United States," said Lara. "I'm excited to try to hit major league pitching."

Some people in the organization believe that Lara is actually a better ballplayer at this very second than Falchonelli, but with the Pikemen shuffling along at 17-18 so far this season the organization might take some caution with their new prized prospect.

"We're so happy to have Pablo here," said Weiner. "We don't want to rush him right to the major leagues just yet, but I don't think he's going to spend a long time in the minors. He's so talented."

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Sticking Points 2047.9: Rockville Drafts Future Starter

Post by Dington » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Very solid pick at #31.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”