Sticking Points 2047.1: Rockville Out in Geoghegan, Might Retool

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2047.1: Rockville Out in Geoghegan, Might Retool

Post by aaronweiner » Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 am

Rockville was knocked out in the Geoghegan Series last year by the Charm City Jimmies, but it wasn't the sort of series that made the Pikemen do a lot of soul-searching. They lost or won every game by one or two runs. Despite not getting to Bill Constable during the regular season at all, Rockville was very effective against the Triple Crown winner in the series. Yet the Pikemen were out again without winning a playoff series, a common refrain for them over the past half-decade; in only one of the past six years has the Pikemen won a playoff series.

"We're not coming up big when it matters, and it's hard to win like that," said second baseman Bing-de Zhao, who posted a .980 OPS in the series. "I am very proud of my teammates but we must be able to do more."

The Pikemen made some major changes last year, including moving former Steve Nebraska winner Danny Leach to the rotation, adding Po-sin Shi in trade, and parting ways with Arthur Dempster. In doing this, they cleared cap space for a free agency run this offseason.

"We haven't had free agent money in a long time," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "I think our last big free agent signing was (retired Hall of Famer) Enrique Gomez. It's been a while."

It remains to be seen what Rockville might do with their free agent money, but they'll have to be careful. Both Leach and Pepper are up for free agency this year, and it's been speculated that both players might command upwards of $20 million to remain in Rockville.

"Obviously I'm not going to discuss ongoing contract negotiations, but I think I've proven my worth over time," said Pepper. "I'm looking for a fair offer."

Rockville might also choose to sign some of their own free agents. Shi has indicated he's going to free agency, but the Pikemen could still re-sign relievers Adergazoz Ouakili and Raul Correa.

"We'll do whatever we need to do to stay contenders," said Weiner. "We're going to do our best for the city of Rockville and their fans."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”