Sticking Points 2046.10: Rockville Deals for Po-Sin Shi

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2046.10: Rockville Deals for Po-Sin Shi

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Four years ago this would have been a very exciting move, a real headline catcher: Po-sin Shi, superstar center fielder, coming over from California in some kind of blockbuster deal. Four years later, it's really barely a blip on the radar: Shi is on his fifth team in three years, has put up less WAR in the last two seasons than Rockville's starting center fielder Gilberto Falchonelli has in 2046, and was traded from seventh-place Nashville for minor leaguer Pedro Nieves. But like the Pikemen have done with other veterans, the Pikemen are hoping to light a fire under Shi.

"I still think I can play baseball at a high level," said Shi, despite all evidence to the contrary. "I'm really excited to come to a contending team and I feel like I can do things like I did for Edmonton two years ago."

It doesn't feel like a long time ago that we were mentioning Shi with people like Aaron Haney and Theo Bourges as one of the top center fielders in the BBA, though he was never quite at that level. On the season, Shi is hitting .246 with a .735 OPS against righties, both considerably below league average. The Pikemen are gambling just by getting him, since his numbers against righties aren't really THAT much better than Gilberto Falchonelli (.710 OPS).

"Listen, we're thrilled to have Po-sin on the team," said Weiner. "At one time this guy was one of the biggest winners in the league and we have no idea what happened to him, but we think he can help us win this year."

No matter what Shi does, it is almost inconceivable that he is anything but a rental for Rockville, especially since Shi has a $12 million base salary for 2046 and these guys never ask for pay cuts. This deal was based largely around Rockville's willingness to pay him the last $5 million of his $12 million for barely replacement level baseball, and Falchonelli's very underwhelming play this season.

"I feel like at least I can help them defensively," said Shi. "If I do nothing else I'm gonna go out there and make sure I catch the baseball for them."

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2046.10: Rockville Deals for Po-Sin Shi

Post by Jwalk100 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 pm

He will make his mark on defense and can hit .250 against righties. Solid.
ImageImageImageImageImage

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm just lucky I have the dough to take a chance on him. I'm not expecting All-Star Po-Sin. League average against righties Po-sin would be great.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 pm

The real question on my mind is whether or not Falchonelli comes back next year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”