Sticking Points 2046.9: Zhang To Rejoin Team Soon?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2046.9: Zhang To Rejoin Team Soon?

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:26 am

Yun Zhang was sent to AAA to make sure that he could regain his focus. Well, mission accomplished. Zhang has gone to AAA and is 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 24.2 innings in three starts, which is about as good as it gets. So, is Zhang going to rejoin the Pikemen soon?

"I really hope so," said Zhang. "I don't really know what else I can do."

It had appeared that Zhang might have been turning a corner a little bit before he was sent down, allowing just four runs in 13 innings against New Orleans and Montreal in his last two major league starts. He's surely kept that momentum going in AAA.

"It's hard to do much more than Yun's done," said Dodge City manager Mike Stone. "He's kept his head down and done his job and that's all I can ask from him."

Zhang's demotion came as a surprise from many observers, since the righty had won 33 games from 2044-2045, but a 6.84 ERA and terrible peripheral numbers made it an easy choice. The question is who he would displace in the Rockville rotation, as every player there has a claim to their rotation spot; Danny Leach, who isn't going anywhere, took Zhang's spot. The guess is former first round pick Mark Smith, who has been solid this season but doesn't have Zhang's track record.

"It's a very hard decision figuring out what to do with this," said pitching coach Billy Chapel, Jr. "There are egos to consider and Mark Smith has pitched pretty good this year and so it's not an easy call."

There's little question that Zhang deserves another shot, and soon. It will be interesting to watch how Rockville handles the transition.

"I know I've earned my job back," said Zhang. "I hate to take someone else's job but I know that it's for the best."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”