Sticking Points 2046.7: Yun Zhang Sent to Minors

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2046.7: Yun Zhang Sent to Minors

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:50 am

The Rockville Pikemen didn't need advanced metrics to be able to tell that Yun Zhang had been struggling this year, but when a report came out recently that Zhang has been the 111th best starter in the BBA, that was pretty much the last straw for Rockville. Zhang, who won 33 games between 2044-2045, was sent to AA Dodge City this week.

"We feel like Yun just needs to find his focus away from the bright lights of the BBA," said Rockville manager Denny Dooley. "We know he was struggling with the pressure of those 33 wins and Dempster being gone, and so we felt like he could use a break to get his mojo back."

Zhang has a 7-6 record this year, but with a 7 flat ERA and just 99 innings in 18 starts despite having no pitch count limit. His strikeout numbers are way down and he has just six quality starts this year, lower than Esteban Cruz, who is on a pitch count. Zhang has given up five runs or more in four of his last six starts, totaling 26 earned runs in just 15 innings in those four starts.

Zhang was clearly angry at the move.

"I blame the defense in part," said Zhang. "This is a bitter thing to happen at this point in my career and while I understand the reasons for this I have not fully accepted them yet. I feel that I would have been better served trying to work out the problems."

Zhang's numbers have shown a sharp decline from his first two seasons, where he finished third in the Joe Gillstrom and posted 8 WAR in two seasons as a starter. This year, Zhang was pitching at replacement level, and while the team has worked on his attitude issues for years, he's a noted malcontent.

"Yun just has his own way of doing things," said Dooley. "We respect and love him like we do all of our teammates and we know he'll get this thing right."

To his credit, Zhang says he'll embrace the process.

"Mr. Weiner said I'd be back in the majors before too long if I got it together at AAA, and I know I am capable of that," said Zhang. "They have made me a wealthy person and I feel that it is only fair if I give them an opportunity to do business their way, even if I do not approve."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”