Sticking Points 2046.6: Rockville Acquires Ray Verhoeve

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2046.6: Rockville Acquires Ray Verhoeve

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 pm

It's never easy to fill the shoes of a legend. But Ray Verhoeve is going to try, anyway. Rockville dealt two minor leaguers to Long Beach for Verhoeve, whose career has been heating up over the past two seasons and might have found a home in Rockville.

"I've had a tough go of it, but it's nice to still be noticed despite my struggles," said Verhoeve. "I was having a good year in Long Beach and I think that caught Rockville's attention."

Verhoeve has always been a favorite of scouts, but the production's never been there. It hasn't helped that he's had to pitch a lot in BBA purgatory in Portland, but a career mark of 40-67, 5.28 might mean the scouts might have been too enthusiastic.

"We're thrilled to have Ray on the team and we plan to have him here for a long time," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "Ray's the sort of professional that really helps a clubhouse big time, and we've got a lot of strong people in our clubhouse now."

Verhoeve doesn't plan on replacing the legendary Arthur Dempster in the rotation. He'd be content to provide another steady rotation arm for the Pikemen and help them in the push to the playoffs.

"It'll be very good to play on a team like this," said Verhoeve. "I was excited to play for Long Beach and I am excited to play for Rockville now that Long Beach has had a tough season. I appreciate the opportunity I have been given here."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”