Sticking Points 2045.4: Dempster Shipped to Valencia

GM: Jim Slade
aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2045.4: Dempster Shipped to Valencia

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:20 pm

Arthur Dempster was born and grew up in Australia before he was a three-time Steve Nebraska Award winner and two-time BBA champion, and while he still has houses in Potomac, MD and near Charlotte, NC, where the Pikemen used to play, he's made no secret about his desire to play on the West Coast so that he could occasionally fly home between starts. Welcome home, Arthur Dempster. Dempster, after a heavily decorated sixteen-year Rockville career, has been traded to Valencia, California, where he can dine on fresh oranges and fly home some weekends.

"Rockville and I have reached an understanding that I have been trade to Valencia to give me a chance to get 250 wins," said Dempster. "They're doing me a huge favor and for that I am grateful."

Dempster's magic appeared to fade last year, when he went 10-12 for Rockville with an ERA well over 6.0. This season, Dempster started out well, but his velocity has been notably lower this season and he has been notably fading in June. Dempster, now alone without either of his long-time colleagues and best friends Dan Cannon and Dave Martin, was struggling on the team he once led to two titles.

"We are heartbroken that Arthur won't spend the rest of his career with us," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "We wanted to give him the best chance to succeed, but we knew that it wouldn't be in Rockville."

The Pikemen sent Dempster to Valencia all-expenses paid, though they'll transfer the cash at the end of the year, according to team sources. This will allow Rockville to reset a little bit, giving them almost $30 million in cap space to play with as they try to hold on in a very competitive wild card race. Owner Daniel Snyder has deep pockets, and authorized the Pikemen to use the cap space any way they wanted.

"We're winning ballgames and we've got a chance to move forward with this move," said Weiner. "Arthur was in danger of falling out of the rotation and we knew he'd be miserable. This gives him a real chance to succeed somewhere else."

Rockville also received pitching prospect Sergio Tormes in the deal. Rockville is currently 41-30, tied for the lead in the wild card race and four and a half games behind Montreal in the JL Atlantic.

"It's hard not finishing my career in Rockville, but I understand that this is the best thing for the franchise," said Dempster. "I want to see the guys I've played with win another title, even if it's not with me. I know that Rockville will welcome me back with open arms when I am ready to retire."

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2045.4: Dempster Shipped to Valencia

Post by CTBrewCrew » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:20 pm

If ya win it you gotta give Dempster a ring....

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2045.4: Dempster Shipped to Valencia

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:53 pm

CTBrewCrew wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:20 pm
If ya win it you gotta give Dempster a ring....
Two. He's worth it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”