Sticking Points 2046.2: Rockville Signs Three Stars To Extensions, Pepper, Leach next

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2046.2: Rockville Signs Three Stars To Extensions, Pepper, Leach next

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:10 pm

Rockville has signed all but their two biggest stars to team-friendly long term extensions which will take the core of the Rockville offense through at least the 2050 season. The Pikemen signed outfielder Julio Barajas and infielder Bing-de Zhao to long term deals during the 2045 season, and, as soon as the offseason began, Rockville signed outfielder Wilson Alomar to his own long-term deal.

Barajas received a five-year deal worth a minimum of $65 million, with a sixth-year option he is expected to decline in 2051. Zhao might opt in for 2051, since his option is for almost $30 million, but otherwise his deal is similar to Barajas. Alomar did not ask for a player option, so he will definitely be under contract in 2051 barring a buyout, and his six-year deal is worth a guaranteed $72 million.

"We have a dynamite offensive unit, and we want to keep this together as long as possible," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "We're thrilled that our players all want to re-up in Rockville."

Barajas, Alomar, Zhao and shortstop Daniel Pepper combined for 23.9 WAR this season, which would have been the #3 offensive WAR total in the Frick League if they had filled it with nothing but replacement players. Pepper, who hits 5 service years in 2046, is currently asking for a deal somewhere in Zhao's 6 year, $100 million range; the team is expected to keep the superstar shortstop happy.

"Obviously I'm interested in playing for the #1 offense in the BBA, are you kidding me?" said Pepper. "It's been a long road from being the #40 pick in the draft to being where I am and I'm excited to keep this train going."

The Pikemen are also expected to start negotiations with superstar reliever Danny Leach, winner of three straight Egan Awards for reliever of the year and the third runner-up for Steve Nebraska in 2045. It is yet unknown whether Leach will join the Rockville rotation this season, but it is expected the righty mega-star will re-up with Rockville if the price is right.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," said Leach. "A long-term deal with Rockville is still a long way ahead."

The total cost for the four offensive stars is expected to come in near $55 million per season, roughly half the team's cap, but, as mentioned, the four players would have been the third best offense in the Johnson League. The market for Leach will be very interesting; it is projected that he will probably sign a long-term deal somewhere in-between Cornelio Lozano's deal and Lorenzo de' Medici's.

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”