Sticking Points 2045.9: Bing-de Zhao Signs Long-Term Deal

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2045.9: Bing-de Zhao Signs Long-Term Deal

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:57 am

The Rockville Pikemen have a long history of letting young players walk. However, with Dan Cannon and Dave Martin no longer members of the franchise, and Arthur Dempster struggling, the Pikemen have become a hitting-first team with the best offense in the BBA over the past two seasons. Second baseman Bing-de Zhao is a big part of that, and, today, Zhao signed a five year deal with the team expected to become six years worth eight figures in total.

"We are pleased to announce that Bing-de Zhao will be a member of the Rockville Pikemen until at least 2050," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "He is a big part of our plan to maintain a powerful offensive presence in Rockville and will no doubt continue to wow us through the rest of his 20s."

Zhao missed the first three weeks with a back injury, but has been outstanding since, posting a .954 OPS and perhaps on his way to his first 30 HR season. The 25 year old Taiwanese infielder is in the prime of his career, and has a career .925 OPS in 601 BBA games.

"Rockville has always been in my corner," said Zhao. "They gave me $16 million when I was a 16 year old kid. They stuck with me through the injuries. And now they're making it so my children and grandchildren will be taken care of. It's a great honor to be a member of the Pikemen and I am grateful for all they have done for me."

The deal follows a similar five-year deal for outfielder Julio Barajas signed two weeks ago. The Pikemen still have two players to lock up long term. Next up is outfielder Wilson Alomar, currently leading the JL in batting average and OBP. Next year, second baseman Daniel Pepper is up for an extension; his transcendent talents has him strongly vying for second or third place in the Sawyer Silk voting this season.

"We're going to try to sign all of those guys," said Weiner. "We think we can do it."

Rockville is currently 68-46, leading the JL Atlantic by two games over the Montreal Blazers.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: Sticking Points 2045.9: Bing-de Zhao Signs Long-Term Deal

Post by Lane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:25 am

Great deal for Rockville
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2045.9: Bing-de Zhao Signs Long-Term Deal

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:34 pm

If it wasn't we probably couldn't have signed everyone. The Martin injury made his release easy but I might have done it anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”