Sticking Points 2045.6: Julio Barajas Signs Extension

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2045.6: Julio Barajas Signs Extension

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:33 am

Following the release of Dave Martin, the Rockville Pikemen have signed pending free agent Julio Barajas to a six-year deal worth a guaranteed $78 million. The deal carries a sixth-year player option that Barajas will likely be expected to decline, giving the Pikemen another chance to re-sign the star right fielder when he turns 29 years old.

"We are pleased today to announce that the Pikemen have made a long-term commitment to Julio Barajas," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner, at a press conference to announce the signing. "He's been the consummate professional for us and a big reason for our success over the last six years."

Barajas led the Johnson League in runs scored last year, his first All-Star appearance. He was one of the most notable All-Star snubs this year, too, as the outfielder is among the league leaders in several categories and has had another outstanding year.

"I knew that it would be difficult to find another team with the winning tradition of the Pikemen, and so I took myself off the market early," said Barajas. "Rockville has been very good to me and I'm excited to spend more time here."

Barajas has a stroke that's tailor-made for the Rockville ballpark and has a career .331 average and .955 OPS, all of it with Rockville. He was perhaps the last of the Rockville phenoms, famously hitting 24 homers in 78 games in 2039 and posting a 1.147 OPS, and while he has not approached those gaudy numbers since he has been a mainstay in the Rockville lineup since his first season. Some would consider the deal a bargain, but Weiner dispelled that notion.

"I've heard reports that since Julio is just so good that his $13 million a year is a bargain, but we're both happy with the terms," said Weiner. "This is in line with what we paid for Lorenzo Palacios and others of Julio's significant talents, and so Julio and we are very happy with the deal."

The Pikemen will have other players who have to be considered for long-term deals over the next few seasons, most notably Bing-de Zhao and Wilson Alomar by 2046, and Daniel Pepper and Danny Leach in 2047. However, the deal will create some flexibility for next season, as the Pikemen might have over $11 million in cap space.

"We have quite a bit of cap space right now and we're exploring the trade market for options," said Weiner. "There's a lot to unpack right now, since we haven't been without Dave Martin for a decade, and so we're being forced to restructure again. Fortunately we're doing it while in first place, but it's always tricky managing these things."

At the All-Star Break, Rockville is 51-37, a game or two ahead of three teams in a tight race.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2045.6: Julio Barajas Signs Extension

Post by RonCo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:26 am

Definitely a solid signing.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 am

RonCo wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:26 am
Definitely a solid signing.
It's why I didn't wait to buy out Martin.

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:19 pm

He can dry his tears for being snubbed on $100 bills.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”