Sticking Points 2045.5: Dave Martin Released, Extensions Next?

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2045.5: Dave Martin Released, Extensions Next?

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:50 am

The Rockville Pikemen released long-time member of the Rockville rotation Dave Martin this sim. The news came one week after Martin received the disheartening news from team doctor Oscar Boffey that he had torn his rotator cuff and would be out until at least July of 2046.

"It's frustrating, obviously, to be in this position, but I know that the Pikemen did the right thing," said Martin. "This was probably going to happen at the end of the year anyway and I knew that when I signed my long-term deal, so to do it now probably helps out the team a lot."

Martin had been struggling more than usual in 2045, though he had kept his trademark control and command. He had lost a little velocity on his fastball, and he had struck out just 39 batters in 96 innings, far below his career pace. Martin will end the year with a 3-9 record and a 5.11 ERA, and while the numbers might not look like much, his performance was still considered above average before the injury.

"You know, I often hear Dan Cannon's voice in my head, and not just because I have him on speed dial," said Martin. "I'm reminded of all that talk he gave last year about going out on his own terms and I'm just sad that I won't be able to do that. I wasn't pitching that badly either."

The Pikemen reportedly made the move because of multiple reasons, including creating cap flexibility for 2045, the potential to sign extensions for players for 2046 and beyond, and to clear up their long-term finances. According to team financial experts, the move should not affect their ability to sign long-term deals at all for 2046.

"We have a number of players we're interested in extending, most immediately Julio Barajas, and we think we'll be able to get that done now that Dave's contract is off the books," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "We're obviously sorry that Dave's tenure with the Pikemen ended this way, but he's way more broken up about the injury than the release, and we are, too. He's been a great player for us for a long time, and living in Arthur and Dan's shadow, and nobody deserves this less than he does."

Martin will end his Rockville career with a stellar 133-76 record, a 4.12 ERA (15% better than league average during that stretch), and having pitched almost 2000 innings for the Pikemen. He led the league in wins in back-to-back years in the 2037 and 2038 seasons, the first of which was one of two Rockville championship seasons. There may be some interesting discussion about his Hall of Fame credentials too, should he hang it up after the season.

"It's bittersweet, especially with the team in first place, but I know that I'll be okay," said Martin. "I always knew that this would be my last year in a Rockville uniform. I just thought I'd be pitching for them in the playoffs."

Rockville is currently 50-34, in first place in the JL Atlantic. Martin's likely replacement is 24 year old righty Mark Smith, Rockville's first round supplemental pick (#42 overall) in 2040.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sticking Points 2045.5: Dave Martin Released, Extensions Next?

Post by RonCo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Martin's HoF conversation will be quite interesting. Outstanding pitcher. Not sure how I feel about him right now. Knowing he pitched in Rockville's park makes the numbers a little less startling ... but ... yeah. That will be a fun one to look at.

Hate to see guys like that end on an injury.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Me too. And then there was one - only Arthur Dempster was on the team when we last won a BBA title.

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:49 pm

What is really weird is that he wasnt very good until he got to Rockville...

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:20 pm

JimBob2232 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:49 pm
What is really weird is that he wasnt very good until he got to Rockville...
I had my eye on him. His FIPs were pretty good the last few years before leaving NO. How does your park do for right handed power hitters?
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”