Sticking Points 2045.4: Do We Have a Manager? Dooley, and How!

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2045.4: Do We Have a Manager? Dooley, and How!

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:36 am

The Rockville Pikemen, sticking with their long-standing tradition of bringing managers from outside the organization, signed Denny Dooley, formerly of the UMEBA and EBA, to be their next manager. Dooley, a native of Israel born to an Irish-Jewish immigrant and a Jerusalem native, had a long run of success for the Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers before spending two years as the Athens Fighting Centaurs skipper.

"We are thrilled that a baseball mind like Denny Dooley has dropped into our lap," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "We couldn't be happier that he was willing to come across the Atlantic and be our next manager."

Dooley, 46, had four consecutive winning seasons for Jerusalem before being let go due to an unstable ownership situation. A former EBA star, Dooley became the manager in his native Jerusalem halfway through 2039, the year after they won the second UMEBA title. Dooley would go on to win the UMEBA title in 2040 and lead the team to the playoffs in each of the next two seasons, and departed amicably after Jerusalem went into a rebuilding mode.

Dooley also expressed a desire to get closer to his son, Omaha star Timo Dooley, who was born to an Aruban native, Camila Geerman, shortly after Denny Dooley visited Aruba on vacation. Geerman gave her son his father's surname, as Denny has always stayed in touch and been supportive of his Aruban son.

"I was so proud of him when he made the BBA," said Dooley. "I've been looking for a job in the States so we can get closer together, and Washington, DC has a stable Jewish community so it was a perfect landing point."

Dooley had a 297-244 record with Jerusalem and won one championship before becoming the manager of Athens, leaving after two losing seasons there. He will take over from Hall of Famer Duane Whitley, who piloted the team to seven straight playoff appearances but no BBA titles. Whitley, who came from outside the organization, himself took over from Chet Rouse, who was a surprise hire as a former minor league manager with a losing record. Dooley has more managerial pedigree than either one, and at 46 years old could be with the organization a long time if he's successful.

"I was a little heartbroken to have to leave my hometown team," said Dooley. "It was better for both of us, though; I got a new experience in Athens, which should help me prepare for being in the United States. I hope I can bring a championship pedigree to this premier BBA franchise."

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Sticking Points 2045.4: Do We Have a Manager? Dooley, and How!

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Heh! Love the headline!

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:26 am

Great back story, too
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RichY
Ex-GM

Post by RichY » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Good story.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:30 am

Dooley was a the manager during my time with Jerusalem.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:59 am

CTBrewCrew wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:30 am
Dooley was a the manager during my time with Jerusalem.
It was fun coming up with an interesting backstory for a guy named Dooley born in Jerusalem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”