Sticking Points 2044.7: Dan Cannon One of Six Rockville All-Stars, Strikes Out The Side

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2044.7: Dan Cannon One of Six Rockville All-Stars, Strikes Out The Side

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:10 pm

It was very unsurprising that Rockville, with the best record in the Johnson League, sent six players to the All-Star Game, the most in the Johnson League; Brooklyn was second with four All-Stars. Bing-de Zhao, last year's Steve Nebraska winner Danny Leach, and starting pitcher Yun Zhang were voted in as starters, while shortstop Daniel Pepper, right fielder Julio Barajas, and starting pitcher Dan Cannon were selected by Rockville manager Duane Whitley.

For the most part, Rockville's players were exceptionally deserving. Zhao has been amazing, Leach is fantastic again, Zhang was leading the league in ERA at the time of voting and Pepper and Barajas were both 2nd place in the voting at their positions. The only question was Dan Cannon.

In fact, Cannon almost wasn't an All-Star. Whitley had selected teammate Dave Martin, whose 9-1 record and low-3s ERA have been far more impressive than Cannon's season despite Cannon's 10-2 record. And then something amazing happened that could only have happened between teammates that respect and care about each other as much as Martin and Cannon do: Martin told Whitley that Cannon should take his spot.

"I know that Dan's been very frustrated this year not being his usual self," said Martin. "He's such a professional that he hasn't let on, but he knows he's not throwing as hard and he's had to do so much more to succeed this year and I'm just in awe of the guy, what he's done, that I thought he should take my spot."

Cannon, a likely first ballot Hall of Famer when he retires, was allowed to pitch the second inning in what might be his last ever All-Star appearance. And the veteran did something amazing. Facing Diesel Dave, Salvador Allende, and Juan Medrano, Cannon struck out the side. Even more remarkable is that Medrano and Allende had only struck out a total of 88 times in 741 plate appearances combined this year.

"Mind over matter," said Whitley, who hugged Cannon when he came back to the dugout in a rare display of emotion by both men. "There's the consummate veteran knowing how to get ahead in the count and just take advantage of his opportunities."

Cannon is likely to be pitching for another team in 2045, though it's surely not by his choice; he's got a $30 million option next year and the Pikemen simply can't afford financially to keep him on the roster. But he managed to make a memory that everyone will remember when they think of Cannon.

"He's maybe the greatest pitcher I've ever seen, and maybe my best friend in the world," said Martin. "It's an honor to give up my All-Star spot for him and to watch him strike out the side brought a couple tears to my eyes. No joke."

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2044.7: Dan Cannon One of Six Rockville All-Stars, Strikes Out The Side

Post by shoeless.db » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Great outing for Cannon, but it should have an asterisk next to it as he did face Diesel Dave, right @HoosierVic?
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2044.7: Dan Cannon One of Six Rockville All-Stars, Strikes Out The Side

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:33 pm

You will note that I mention the strikeout rate of Allende and Medrano, but not of Diesel Dave.

Pretty sure that I could strike out Diesel Dave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”