Sticking Points 2044.2: Danny Leach First FL Reliever To Win Steve Nebraska Award

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2044.2: Danny Leach First FL Reliever To Win Steve Nebraska Award

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:08 pm

If it hadn't happened in both leagues, the headline would have been different. Danny Leach, the Pikemen stopper, became one of the first two relievers to win the Steve Nebraska Award, winning the JL Award while Yellow Springs' Tiernan O'Macken won in the Frick League.

"It is an unbelievable honor to receive this award," said Leach. "Just unbelievable. It's the sort of thing you dream about as a kid but you never imagine you'll get there."

While O'Macken had a great season, the Irish lefty came over almost ten years ago as a highly scouted prospect from Ireland. Danny Leach, on the other hand, was a 2038 tenth round draft pick by the Pikemen, once retired from baseball as a kid, and was considered a total afterthought in the franchise until he began working his way up the ranks just two seasons ago.

"Listen, if you had told me as a kid I'd be here, today, accepting this award I would have told you that you were out of your mind," said Leach. "Ten years ago I was going to be a stockboy or a salesman in Hammond, Louisiana, and today I'm here, and you're telling me I'm the best pitcher in the Johnson League. It's said a lot but it's like a dream come true."

Leach led the JL in pitching wins above replacement, but he was also atop the leaderboard in double-digit categories, including games pitched, ERA, and OPS allowed. He was a one-man wrecking crew for the Rockville bullpen, as the righty pitched three out of every seven innings for the Pikemen last year.

His final numbers were Steve Nebraska-worthy: 15-6, 17 saves, a 2.01 ERA and an absurd 1.45 FIP (which is his reflection of how he pitched outside of defense). He is the first and only reliever to ever win the ERA title.

"It's hard to say enough about what this young man has done," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "We have had great pitchers here for a long time, but it looks like with Danny and Yun Zhang that the tradition will continue here. I'm so proud of Danny and all he's done."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”